Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Looking to do some fishing this weekend and need some advice. I thought about Salmon fishing this weekend, but prefer walleye/perch. I have a small boat, so I can't go real far out. Thinking about Trenton Channel since my buddy lives close to it. What's in there this time of year? Wondering if it's a waste of my time in there or if I should just try the big lake? What do you guys think? I can't go out 10 miles for perch like some guys were saying.
This is one of those rare times where I get to take my boat out, so I want to make the most of it. Any help would be appreciated....pm if you like. Not looking for sweet spots, just want some opinions on where to go to have a good time on the water.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Hi all,
Looking to do some fishing this weekend and need some advice. I thought about Salmon fishing this weekend, but prefer walleye/perch. I have a small boat, so I can't go real far out. Thinking about Trenton Channel since my buddy lives close to it. What's in there this time of year? Wondering if it's a waste of my time in there or if I should just try the big lake? What do you guys think? I can't go out 10 miles for perch like some guys were saying.
This is one of those rare times where I get to take my boat out, so I want to make the most of it. Any help would be appreciated....pm if you like. Not looking for sweet spots, just want some opinions on where to go to have a good time on the water.

Thanks!
:Welcome:try the cross dyke..put in at erie metro and run across to the dyke ...Any day on the water is a good time in my oppinion...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, here's the dumb questions, what kind of fish are in that area this time of year? (just wondering what type of tackle and bait I need to get)

And thanks for the welcome!

Mike

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
yes perch, just use a perch rig with minnows. I simplify it and use just a single hook with a split shot. Drop it all the way to the bottom and then lift it up about 6" from the bottom

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I fish that area often. If you are going to fish the trenton channel itself, you can hook into just about anything this time of year. You can probly get into some pretty decent bass action casting tubes and rettle traps in along the weedbeds. You can try jigging, you never know you may pull up a walleye. you can try some of the deeper holes along the weeds and anchor for perch, but the perchin has been real spotty, it is a little early IMO.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you want to go perchin they have been catching some south of celron island. (you'll see the pack of boats) not to bad of a ride if you launch at Erie. We caught a couple there but you'll need to move around the area and try to find the fish, same at the cross dyke. Sat. we moved about every ten minutes. Caught a lot of dinks with a few 8-10 inch fish mixed in. At the cross dyke it seemed like 6-9 FOW was the key number. there are deeper holes but they were not there. Try and find a weed bed/ridge and drift just past it and drop your rig down.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Take a look at a map or google earth of the crossdyke area before you go out there. Some of those waters are in Canada and a person can find themselves in trouble if they don't have a Canadian license and cleared customs if they anchored for perch fishing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.