Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the recent thread on treestands and found it interesting, but my concern, other than finding a strong tree, is the weight ratings on your average stand. Most run around 275-300lbs. Being somewhat of a Fat guy, and right around 300, I don't trust those stands. I am sure they can handle some weight in excess of their rating, but I am just not going to chance it. I really want to get a climber, thinking about the Goliath, but before I buy it I thought I would get some feed back.

·
Registered
35,254 Posts
If this were the QDM forum the word mature would fit here. LOL

Treestands for "not skinny" Guys
Fastrnu has recommended a good stand for the "mature" hunter. Another stand is the Vantage Point but I have not seen it advertised in some time. It was also rated for 400#, the ad used to show a VW or 3 elk hanging from it.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
api and old man both hae climbers rated for 350 plus

·
Registered
266 Posts
SWAMPHOUND coming from a bruiser class hunter (6-6 285 pounds stripped and dry) I use the ladder stand sold at bass pro shops for 69.00 It is labeled as a 15 footer but the box says 16 go figure. It has a rating of 300# but I use it as well as a section from another ladder stand for a combined height of 20-3 inches from seat to ground.

Once packed into my hunting gear I would say I tip the scales close to 325 without a problem. I've never felt uncomfortable in it other than the initial hang because of the floppiness of the ladders until secured. But once secured they are the stuff dreams are made of.

The best way to do it is check and see how they feel to you. only you have the ability to feel safe in the manner in which you choose to "go on-stand".

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I'am 6'5 300 and i use aerospace and north starr stands the steel starr is rated to 350 and is a nice paltform hang on type i also use ther ebig starr climber rated to 400pounds made in hillsdale michigan

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I too am a farm fed bruiser that would be tough to drag out of the woods so I know where you are coming from...don't like heights all that much either so I like a solid stand! I have the chippewa wedgeloc also and use it with ladder sticks. I could dance on this stand with no problem. I also have a Summit Viper XLS, the same as the Goliath, just a narrower top section. I bought mine just before the Goliath came out or that is what I would have bought. The Viper base and Goliath base are exactly the same, yet the Viper "only" has a 300 lb rating. I feel safe in it. And I'm guessing that to recieve a 300lb weight rating the stand probably tests at twice the weight or atleast 1.5 times the rating. You can guarantee there is a hefty fudge factor built in to those ratings! I also like ladder stands, not very mobile, but very secure.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Do they still make "screaming eagle" treestands ? I know they had an ad that showed a volkswagon hanging from one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts