Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Last weekend I set up three treestands and baits. The two on private land and one on state land. I set them up on the Sunday the 10th. My father was told at his work tonight that although it's legal to bait on the 10th. I cannot hang my treestand until 10 days before the hunt.

I looked at the regs, this is what I found.

10. It is legal to hunt bear from a raised platform or tree stand when using a firearm, bow or crossbow (you must have a crossbow permit in your possession).

13. Bear hunters may use ground blinds on state lands in the bear management unit for which they are licensed. Blinds may be placed from August 10 (Zone 1) or August 17 (Zone 2) through five days after the close of the bear season, or if successful five days after harvesting a bear. The name and address of the licensed bear hunter must be permanently affixed to the ground blind.

Although a ladderstand is not a ground blind, this is the only date I can find in the Bear Hunting Guide.

What are your guys thoughts on this? Should my Dad pull the stand, or am I perfectly legit to hang my ladder stand on the 10th. The last thing I want is to ruin a perfectly good spot by doing something stupid.

Thanks for the input.​

·
Registered
257 Posts
It sounds like a fine line, you might want to contact a CO and ask. I would be most concerned with the state land. Better to know for sure than guess and worry about it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Scaffolds, raised platforms, ladders, steps and any other device to assist in climbing a tree cannot be placed on public lands any earlier thatn Sept. 1, and must be removed by March 1.

Page 33 of last years rule book, sorry I don't have this years book yet.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.480 is absolutely correct on this issue.

I called the Marquette office this morning and asked the question. The gentlemen who answered the phone did not know, but took my name. Called me back five minutes later to inform me that treestands cannot be placed before Sept. 1st.

Treestand will be removed today from State Land, and put back up the weekend that I hunt the stand. The only time I hunt state land is during bear season.

Ignorance is not an excuse, but I did goof on this one. I went by the bear guide, and made an assumption that treestands were included in the ground blind rules. I would think that in the section about treestands they should have included a date that they were legal to put up. After all if your bear hunting, one would think all the rules would be in the bear guide.

Live and learn. I'll remove it and nothing more will come from it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts