Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
every year i cut oak tree branches and put them up around my treestands right before season to give me some cover/camo so i dont look like an out of place blob in the tree. Im really getting sick of this and so are the nearby oak trees. Anyone have any different ideas to use instead of oak branches? thanks

·
Registered
821 Posts
Artificial christmas trees, take the branches and attach where you need. Probably won't find any in the trash this time of year, but keep your eye out on trash day in the winter.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
artifical christmas tree branches are awesome, the deep green color last forever, wire stems allow you attach just about anywhere. they work well for box blinds that stand out like a 6th finger.
OH and whole sections of the tree work unbelievably well as structure lowered below your ice fishing hole.
As mentioned might not find any being thrown out this time of year but maybe you can find one lying around in the attic collecting dust. After christmas try dumpster hopping in apt. complex's those little 4ft'ers shownup everywhere. Good luck

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's wrong with using the oak branches? I've used them for years and they seem to work just fine plus they're pretty cheap:)
just tired of hacking up all the oaks and trying to find a more permanent solution that doesnt have to be done every year.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Garage sales this time of year for Christmas trees. I had my mother get some last year for me, in two weeks she bought 6 trees and the total was $35, not to bad.

·
Premium Member
30,863 Posts
Garage sales this time of year for Christmas trees. I had my mother get some last year for me, in two weeks she bought 6 trees and the total was $35, not to bad.
Yup! Yard sales, and if they don't have them out in their offerings, ask. Many folks have them and want to move them but forget when they're getting their stuff around.
I wouldn't recommned cutting oak branches this time of year. The possiblity of introducing oak wilt to the source tree isn't worth it IMO.

T

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Artificial trees work great and last a very long time.
To add to this tip, get a roll of chicken wire and cut desired length/sizes. Attach the artificial limbs to this and pre-make your camoflage before climbing the stand and just zip tie the chicken wire to your stand.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Chicken wire, lov it thanks hunterrep

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Invest in some open-pattern camouflage that doesn't blob at a distance.....Predator or ASAT will give you the results you're looking for without having to use leaf cover.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If your looking into a different idea from the christmas tree thing (which is new to me and I LOVE it) you can also use fake plastic ivy from a hobby store or floral area (Michaels or Hobby Lobby) Ive used it to cover the climbing sticks so that they are not very visible from the ground. Just wrap and zip tie for some good leaf kind of concealment!

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Artificial trees work great and last a very long time.
To add to this tip, get a roll of chicken wire and cut desired length/sizes. Attach the artificial limbs to this and pre-make your camoflage before climbing the stand and just zip tie the chicken wire to your stand.

I have seen that stand some where? Isn't there a food plot behind it. LOL.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I have seen that stand some where? Isn't there a food plot behind it. LOL.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Yes you have seen it but no food plot behind this one, however they all look alike.
If you look closely I try to mimic how an outline of a person would look if they were sitting in that stand. You can see there is a continual blob up there in a tree that would skyline a person big time. If a blob all of the sudden showed up to hunt, it would look very new and out of place and certainly be noticed. When I sit in it, the blob just is a little bigger but it isn't an all of the sudden out of place silhouette in the tree.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts