Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that the there are the idiots out there stealing tree stands again.
I went hunting yesterday morning with my 14 year old son and I was going to help him set up in the ladder stand at 6:15am but when we got to it, it was stolen,
Someone had cut my 2 padlocks off each set of chains that I had on it and I guess they carried it out of the woods. I had my ladder on the backside of Island Lake Recreation Area just opposite of the dunes.
Whoever did this is a real low life and will get theirs someday I am sure.
My son and I had set it up in september and hunted it weekly since the season openned and it was there last Monday evenning when we hunted in it. I had to explain to him that some people are like this and that he should never do to someone else what happenned to us as it was a rotten feeling.
I guess I got an opportunity to teach him a lesson in life again just as hunting has taught him that there is more to life than sports or video games.
If anyone saw anything this past week on Silver Lake Road please let me know as have a police report just in case they catch someone stealing out there and they find them with a ladder.
I am also interested in buying a ladder again forthe rest of the season if anyone has a used one that you want to sell me. My name is Gabriel at 248-926-8634 or you can send me an e-mail at [email protected]. Thanks

·
Registered
354 Posts
Man that makes my blood boil! There is no excuse for sleezeballs like this. I have had a few stands stolen, and not only does it piss ya off, it ruins your hunt.

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Why mess around with a ladder stand, that you have to set up and usually leave up and try to lock up because they are so heavy and difficult to transport, especially if you are hunting public land? GET A GOOD QUALITY CLIMBING STAND LIKE A SUMMIT OR A LONE WOLF. Then your problems of stolen treestands is over forever. Face it, if you leave any type of stand on public land OR PRIVATE LAND, even if you use the very best locking system, someone will get it if they want it bad enough and want to put enough effort into it. I have posted this many times on these forums pertaining to stolen stands and blinds: Make the would-be thief think a little before they do their foul deed. I ALWAYS mark my pop-up blinds AND my locked treestands with a small sign which reads:

THIS PROPERTY IS UNDER 24 HOUR HIDDEN CAMERA SURVEILLANCE. THEIVES AND VANDALS WILL BE IDENTIFIED. I WILL CATCH YOU. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Since I started using these, I have not had a stand or blind stolen from our property in 3 years.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Man thats a real bummer i know te feeling for i have had things stollen from me in my life by strangers and so called friends =( good luck with the new one, and karma is a ***** it'll come back to them

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
if a chain & a lock doesnt stop them, why do you think a little card will?

I would look at who doesnt live in your neighborhood any more and check them out !

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
if a chain & a lock doesnt stop them, why do you think a little card will?

I would look at who doesnt live in your neighborhood any more and check them out !
No, you didn't read my post with comprehension. It is not that I THINK that "a little card will". I KNOW that a little card will. In the past before using the "little card" I had blinds and stands stolen every year. Since I have used the "little card", like I said in my post, I have not had a stand or a blind stolen in 3 years. Now, if that doesn't sound like a deterrent to you, look up the word deterrent. I suppose that there are some low-life stand and blind thieves who can't read, but so far the "little card" has worked for me, and that's the only person I need to satisfy.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
you didnt comprehend mine !

did anyone in your neighborhood move or get put in jail ?

Perhaps they already had enuf of your equipment that they didnt need to borrow any more of it ! :lol:

I bet a shiny nickle that the card means nothing to the likes of the people that do that sort of thing.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses on this. It is good to see all the true sportsman out there that care.
I had set up the ladder stand for my son to use. He just turned 14 and is just getting used to being up in the air. The lader stand is easier and safer for him to use right now and is a good training tool for him to get used to being that far up.
I would be willing to bet that it was either from one of those fair weather hunters that only hunt the openning day of gun season and then are done for the rest or it was from one of the people in the neighborhood over there.
Karma will get them or I will when I see them in it. I had a mark hidden it to identify it as mine just in case something like this happenned or if there was any question at all.
again, thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Sorry `bout the luck, I know the feeling.

I had one stand stolen, and called it quits with fixed positions. I bought a climber, if they steal it, they get me with it, and I won't be in a good mood!

I also move around alot more and don't stick with poor spots at all. I attribute most of my success with a bow to the climber, and its mobility.

There's nothing wrong with the ground either. It's quite mobile, and youth friendly.

B

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also hunt with a ladder stand. Last year someone cut the lock off mine also. I now remove the bottom section of my ladder when i leave.

·
Banned
4,352 Posts
i bought a stealth cam at a garage sale ( the old 35 mm ) for 50.00 it works good, after scouting i hang and aim it up in a tree 10 feet from my stand to deter scumbags from stealing my equipment. i've had mud thrown on it and rock chips , but i always come home at the end of the season with my stuff.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Sorry to hear about your theft. Hunting should be a fun experience and some idiots like to ruin it for everyone. Keep the chin up.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
i bought a stealth cam at a garage sale ( the old 35 mm ) for 50.00 it works good, after scouting i hang and aim it up in a tree 10 feet from my stand to deter scumbags from stealing my equipment. i've had mud thrown on it and rock chips , but i always come home at the end of the season with my stuff.
Around here they would just steal the cam too!:dizzy:

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
you didnt comprehend mine !

did anyone in your neighborhood move or get put in jail ?

Perhaps they already had enuf of your equipment that they didnt need to borrow any more of it ! :lol:

I bet a shiny nickle that the card means nothing to the likes of the people that do that sort of thing.
Just a nickel? Thought it would be alot more. I know exactly what you are saying. I am telling you and all others who are willing to listen, the card has worked. I hunt 3 different areas of private land, I failed to mention that in my original post. If what you say may be true, then there have been alot of these thieves either relocating or being arrested. Highly unlikely as far as I am concerned. Let me ask you this..........if you were literate and a scum-bag thief, and you saw my "little card" placed on my or anyone else's stand or blind, would you take a risk of getting caught? As far as I am concerned, there have been no "risk takers" since I started doing this. In my experience, most of these types of people are cowards also.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the ideas here by everbody. I am going to try the card thing and removing the bottom of the ladder idea.
I also hunt with a blind but where my ladder was at is hard to do. It is easier and safer for my son to use than a climber

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well, this will probably cause me to loose a stand, but here it goes.

I have my stands with my name, address, and DL number on them. On each ladder or step section I have my last name. I use a dremel to etch them in.

In the top section of the ladders, I have "Smile for the camera!" - Sometimes there's a camera hidden near by, sometimes not. Thing is the camera is never visible, you would have to know where it is to find it, and risk being on camera many times while looking for it.

I do put a chain and lock on them, but I know that will only deter those who get an idea to grab it while they're walking through the woods. Anyone who knows where you stand is and goes in to get it is going to bring the appropriate tools to take it.

I also bolt together the ladder sections, which means you'll need tools to disassemble it, which takes time. Time that a thief may not want to expend before being able to make off with the stand.

·
Banned
2,125 Posts
yep showed up on sunday afternoon to find my stand and climbing sticks gone.had a cable and lock on it.this was .79 miles back as the gps measures.in watterloo rec area.even had my name engraved and painted on it all.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I feel your pain, we have lost 3 ladder stands and 2 hang-ons just in the past 3 weeks! I talked to guys hunting surrounding areas and every single person I talked to either had a stand stolen or someone in their group had one stolen. One guy left a climber out over night and it was gone when he returned to hunt it at daybreak the following day! :rant::rant:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts