Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are all guilty of leaving our stands up too long. Sometimes long enough that they straps almost break from pressure as the tree's grow. We still hunt them but are often scared to death as we step on the platform each time.

I removed 11 stands this weekend from behind the house. Some had been up for 3 years and other for only months. Even the ladder sticks were stuck to the trees. Many of the screw in steps are now there forever. (hope I don't' find them with MY chainsaw someday.)

With the mild winter Mother Nature is sending this next couple weeks maybe it will be a good time to take em all down for a good once over. Replace the plastic washers (Lowes has a bunch), inspect the cables and replace old straps with chain.

This is one of the few winters we can't blame the snow depth on not taking them down...

·
Registered
35,272 Posts
It must be nice living that close to the equator. I know a lot of guys who would disagree with you. It's been 7 weeks since there has been bare ground and another 18 weeks to go before the snow levels will be low enough to recover what was buried the week prior to firearms opener. On a bright note there is very little frost in the ground under the snow pack. Last year we still had frost in the ground a week before the 4th of July and temps in the 30s a week after the 4th.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
It must be nice living that close to the equator. I know a lot of guys who would disagree with you. It's been 7 weeks since there has been bare ground and another 18 weeks to go before the snow levels will be low enough to recover what was buried the week prior to firearms opener. On a bright note there is very little frost in the ground under the snow pack. Last year we still had frost in the ground a week before the 4th of July and temps in the 30s a week after the 4th.
"Any place this good, has to have weather this bad, for this long, just to keep the riffraff out." That's my story and I'm sticking to it! FM

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I plan to help take a few more down shortly. I agree with the inspection and replace corroded cables and such. A friend had a cable break two years ago, luckily he didn't get hurt bad.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Speaking of leaving your stand up too long, here is one I found over the weekend. No idea how long it has been up, but the tree has almost grown over the strap. The tree growth has caused the strap to buckle the stand's vertical channels (1" box steel) between the seat and foot platform. I don't know the brand of strap used, but if it is strong enough to bend the stand, I want one.

The ladder straps and V shaped standoffs were also overgrown by the tree.

On top of it all, there were two cables with locks holding it all together.

treestand.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30,789 Posts
Speaking of leaving your stand up too long, here is one I found over the weekend. No idea how long it has been up, but the tree has almost grown over the strap. The tree growth has caused the strap to buckle the stand's vertical channels (1" box steel) between the seat and foot platform. I don't know the brand of strap used, but if it is strong enough to bend the stand, I want one.

The ladder straps and V shaped standoffs were also overgrown by the tree.

On top of it all, there were two cables with locks holding it all together.

View attachment 72695
Looks like an old Gorilla stand. I have 2 of them but they are chain on. Nice, heavy, quiet stands.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts