Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm returning to bow hunting/tree stand hunting after a hiatus of about eight years. I'm in my late 40s now. In the past, while I was in my 20s and 30s, I never used any safety equipment when setting up tree stands, and I never wore a safety harness while hunting, even though I fell asleep more than once in my tree stand.

Returning to the woods this year, I set up my first tree stand without using any safety equipment. The experience was a little unnerving, especially taking that first step off the ladder onto the tree stand. I was clinging tightly to the tree, but I'm not certain that I could have held myself up there for very long if the strap had given way and the stand fell off of the tree. I couldn't believe that I used to do this all the time without any safety equipment.

Before putting up any additional ladders or tree stands, I bought an HSS harness with a lineman's climbing strap. I also bought HSS life lines for each tree stand that I planned to hang. All I can say is, "Wow!" I can't believe I used to put up tree stands without this stuff. It took a little getting used to at first, but once I got the hang of it, it sure was nice using the lineman's climbing strap while hanging tree stands. Once I got the ladder and a life line hung up, I could use the life line and the climbing strap when setting up the tree stand. Using the climbing strap allowed me to use two hands while hanging a tree stand without having to worry about falling to my death. If you don't use a harness with a climbing strap when hanging your tree stands, you really should give it a try. It's not only safer, it's also much easier to hang the tree stand.

The life lines are also pretty slick. Once you get them hung up, they're a breeze to use. It's nice to know that if I miss a step in the dark, or I fall asleep in the stand, I'm not going to fall all the way to the ground.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, I cant believe I did that either. Sometimes 20 feet up...feeling on top of the world not realizing that if I dozed off, slipped or if my stand gave way, I could have ended up crippled or dead.
No more. My HSS is used everytime I go up a tree.

Captn---

Sent from my CoolPad 5860E using OHub Campfire.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
when you get my age...a ripe 53....you learn to work smarter not harder...and yeah amazing the things we used to do when were studs and nothing could hurt us....not so much these days!

ST8

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
After a couple close calls in the last few years I decided to finally get a safety harness. I am really pleased with the added mobility I have in a tree where I don't have to worry about balance. I hung out over my stand on an angle last year trying to get a shot off at a nice buck behind some trees. My harness allowed an easy 18-24 inches of movement that I could lean into away from my stand and tree.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The fun thing is trying to use a harness when putting up a ladder stand....
climbing the tree when the ladder isnt attached to the tree at the top, just the bottom bar! Its damn near impossible.
I sat in a tripod a few years back and didnt wear one...i felt naked!
They are great AND make my wife happy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts