Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of starting this thread for fun but with the emphasis on SAFETY too. I don't want anyone having a ruined season due to an injury or God forbid, their last due to a tree stand accident.

I've never had an accident with a tree stand, but have come close. Be careful climbing when the trees are wet! Can't count the # of times I've slipped on wet or icy bark going up and coming down! If I was smart I'd have never climbed those trees. I always try to maintain 3 point contact. One arm, 2 legs on a branch or step or 2 arms, 1 leg in contact with a solid part of the tree. It really does work to help maintain control if you slip. I'd advise being tied in like a tree trimmer too on the way up or down, but honestly most people aren't going to do that I think.

I remember a story of a guy slipping and catching his face on a screw in step on the way down:(, the result wasn't pretty you can imagine. I think useing a headlamp on the way down so I could see my steps would help too.

Funniest thing that ever happened to me was using one of the first of the commercial climbers. I got hyperextended with my legs in the toe loops of the climber and my arms way over my should on the climbing seat. I bit off too much and just hung there frozen until I somehow wiggled out of it. Once too I hit a knot in the tree and had to unscrew the wingnut on the climber seat and undo it to keep going up. Well of course I dropped the damn thing and it clanked down. This wasn't a good morning set up! Well 5' later a spike that to this day had the tallest spikes I've ever seen walked right under me. I just stood there holding the unhooked seat while my bow was still on the ground. Better luck to all of you this fall!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I actually have two climbers. I used to feel very secure, but a few years ago, something happened (i am still not sure what) that went awry on the way down. I ended up dropping about 20 feet with the stand at my feet and my legs wrapped around the tree. The severe abrasions on my inner thighs lasted for more than a week. Ouch.

I understand that conventional wisdom holds that manmade towers are the least safe. But after that incident, i bought all the pressure treated lumber required to build a nice little hut with the floor 18 feet off the ground. I glued and screwed every joint. Then i painted it. And i inspect it pretty much every time i go out. This is my 'go-to' tree stand.

As a side note, we used to have a man-made tree stand in an old elm. It was there when i bought the place 15 years ago, and it was still standing 2 years ago. We called it the guest blind, because whoever sat in it had a great chance to see deer. More deer (does AND bucks) have been shot out of this blind than all other blinds on the property combined. I hunted it one Sunday evening and all was fine. The following saturday morning, i actually thought i was not on my own land when i approached. The tree had come down by the roots, and the lumber pretty much exploded when it landed. I still get shivers when i think of what the consequences would have been had i been sitting in it when it fell.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
When I was 15 (24 now) I had a stand about 12ft Id say and it was made out of 2 12ft 2x4's for the 2 rails and the steps were 1x4 (i think) and there was just one platform out of 3/4" plywood so you had to take a small seat up with you to sit on. . well I forgot my seat(imagine that0 and this was my 3rd year bow hunting and had not shot a deer. . I was sitting on the platform with my feet using the second step down as my step when I stood up and brace the back of my legs so i was stable. . well a nice doe was heading my direction and i stood up waiting for her and got the bow ready and when she got within range, I started to draw. . well i (luckily) didnt quite get to half draw and the step gave out and I went straight to the ground landing on my bow. . luckily i wasnt at full draw the way i landed I could have ended up on a broadhead. .

long story short, I was young and proud to be hunting my own stands and I always instected them but this one had been out all winter(private land) and I just thought the steps felt ok, I was too excited to check them in detail and the snow had rotted the step enough for me to go down. . I got lucky but to look back on it its kind of funny now picturing it in my head like a cartoon hitting and breaking every step on the ladder all the way down :) learned from that one!!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I've never had a tree-stand mishap, but a good friend of mine has. He was using screw in climbing steps that he had purchased and installed in Sept. Well come Dec 2 he had been up and down dozens of times, but nothing like that night. While he was climbing up, the second from the top step broke and he fell catching the next step down with the meat of his thigh, ripping a huge gash in his skin and flesh. He couldn't walk, so he crawled to the edge of the field he was hunting. His wife found him there a couple of hours later, bloodied and injured severly, but alive. If she hadn't known exactly where he hunted and had a good head on her shoulders to know he should have been back by an hour after dark, he may have perished that night.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I will never use a home made wooden stand (typically called a pallet stand) since I fell and luckly did not break my neck when I landed on my upper back/neck from about 6 feet.

Long story short stand was about 2 weeks old, built by a buddy who is a commerical and residential builder. pressure treated lumber etc. stand height was about 10 feet. while climbing down the screws sheard off on one of the rungs of the ladder (which was home built too by same guy at same time). rung gave way and my legs hit the next rung down which flipped me upside down and I landed on my upper back between my shoulder blades. This was about 5 years ago and still occasionally have some pain. no "permanent" injuries and nothing broken at the time of the fall, but I immediately thought about my daughter and her not having me anymore. I vowed at that time to NEVER use a home made stand and to always wear my harness while going up and down too.

All my stand sites now have main lines so I am tied in from the minute I leave the ground and back down ( i use a teather while using my climber too).

Its not worth it to me and safety over rules EVERYTHING to me now.

Be safe out there guys.

J-

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
All I have to say about this one is PLEASE dont leave your tree steps in all year long.......It weakens them......I had one snap of 20 feet up in a tree.....luckily my weight wasnt on it.......It was the last one I would have stepped on to get in my stand.

·
Registered
470 Posts
my oldest brother just broke his ankle week and half ago due to slipping off a strap on step he was only about 6 feet up but landed on a nole from the tree next to it did that on a saturday and was having a pin and plate put in on a tuesday... 4-6 weeks recovery time ...so imm keeping him in my prayers that he will still beable to get out this year still..couldent have happend at a worst time...i know him missing the first month or soo of season is going to kill him but we all know and his knows it could have been alot worst..so if yall dont mind keep him in ur prayers for a speedy and healthy recovery.....oohh and its not fun trying to carry a 6'2 245 lb man 1.5 or so miles outta the woods...good thing the people up the road at the cabins were home with a quad ;)

good luck to everyone

EV

·
Registered
441 Posts
I will never use a home made wooden stand (typically called a pallet stand) since I fell and luckly did not break my neck when I landed on my upper back/neck from about 6 feet.

Long story short stand was about 2 weeks old, built by a buddy who is a commerical and residential builder. pressure treated lumber etc. stand height was about 10 feet. while climbing down the screws sheard off on one of the rungs of the ladder (which was home built too by same guy at same time). rung gave way and my legs hit the next rung down which flipped me upside down and I landed on my upper back between my shoulder blades. This was about 5 years ago and still occasionally have some pain. no "permanent" injuries and nothing broken at the time of the fall, but I immediately thought about my daughter and her not having me anymore. I vowed at that time to NEVER use a home made stand and to always wear my harness while going up and down too.

All my stand sites now have main lines so I am tied in from the minute I leave the ground and back down ( i use a teather while using my climber too).

Its not worth it to me and safety over rules EVERYTHING to me now.

Be safe out there guys.

J-
But............................It was funny as hell after we knew you weren't hurt.

B.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I have noticed that it's harder to climb a tree as you get older. I go up in a tree at times, usually just when hunting with others that use them. For the most part I am happy on the ground.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Years ago I was putting up a stand in a cedar and was on my way down when one of the screw in pegs came out from under my foot. I followed it down falling from about 13 ft. up, catching another steel peg right above my right knee, ripping my outer thigh open to about the hip bone. Luckily my 7 year old son was with me, and when I came to, he said Dad, you have a bad cut...looking down at me shirt I did notice a small 3" scratch on my chest, he said no, look at your leg. My leg was opened almost to the bone from above the knee to 5" below my hip bone on the outside. My son took off his own shirt at once, folded it up, and carefully pushed the wound back in place. He got me a walking stick, got all the gear in the backpack, and helped me back out of the woods, about a mile and 1/2 back to cabin. He was a big hero that day!
As I was being wheeled into surgery later that day for repair, the doctor was making "plop" noises, the nurse asked him what that was, and he said the sound of hunters falling in the woods. Har har har...:rolleyes:

Be careful out there!

·
Registered
415 Posts
well about four years ago i was hunting in Baldwin with my dad and my uncle
well about 2 hours into the evening hunt i heard somebody yelling my name .......jon .......jon well i thought one of them had got a deer so i was going to keep hunting about five minutes later i heard it again and climbed down to go investigate as i approached i could hear my uncle yelling he fell out of the tree and then panic set in when i finaly got to my dad he was laying on the ground moaning he was in alot of pain well we packed all the gear and my uncle ran to the truck and got it as far back in the woods as he could me and my dad had over a 500 yard walk which took over an hour but he did walk out with my help and a walking stick once we got to the truck we procced to lay him in the back seat and headed for the highway and headed to saintmarys where they where waiting for us... well it all ends ok
my dad had two cracked vertabrea dislocated shoulder and several broken ribs and some internal bleeding and 3 days in at saintmarys................... he never wanted to wear saftey harness before but sure does now all because he got alittle tried up in a pine tree, and tried to take a short cat nap
so dont forget to wear your saftey belt if you dont have one buy one its well worth the investment or 22,000 in hospital bills or even worse your life

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm kind of starting this thread for fun but with the emphasis on SAFETY too. I don't want anyone having a ruined season due to an injury or God forbid, their last due to a tree stand accident.

I've never had an accident with a tree stand, but have come close. Be careful climbing when the trees are wet! Can't count the # of times I've slipped on wet or icy bark going up and coming down! ...
If you're using the limbs of the tree to climb and not a ladder or steps, it's only a matter of time before you fall.

Getting killed in a fall is the easy part, living with the pain of a spinal injury is the hard part.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Many years ago my sons and I were hanging stands. One of my boys was standing on a step when it broke at the weld and he fell 18ft ripping his arm open from the elbow to his underarm on another step on the way down. It took a long time to heal and to this day he doesn't have full use of that arm.

My friend who use to frequent this site Jimmyboy (rip) had a bunch of treestands built in trees. The last step he went to grab pulled through the nails and he fell 20 feet on his back. He crawled the last 250 yards back to his house taking him almost the entire day and part of the night.

He recovered but he it was painful. Be careful out there....m:D

·
Premium Member
5,603 Posts
A couple years ago I was putting an 18 foot ladder stand up with my son. We put it up and I realized I forgot the center brace. Like a moron I assumed it wasn't that big a deal (doh!). I climbed up and was standing on the platform strapping the stand to the tree when the base buckled and the stand went sideways. I was lucky and managed to surf it all the way down jumping just before it hit and executed a perfect ninja tuck and roll. Scared the hell out of both my son and myself. Good lesson. Never EVER take short cuts when it comes to stand safety.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
But............................It was funny as hell after we knew you weren't hurt.

B.
kinda was but I think it made me a little more dummberrr!:yikes:

J-

·
Administrator
17,649 Posts
In 1999 I was setting up a tree stand for my cousin. I had learned the utility of a safety strap long before that, but had forgotten to take one out that afternoon. My cousin didn't like heights much, and only wanted the stand to be 10 - 12 feet high. I was used to going much higher, so I just remember thinking "I'll just be careful today". I got the stand set up in the tree and was standing on the platform to trim some branches when without warning the stand failed, and I fell backward from 10 - 12 feet high. I whizzed through the branches and landed with a thud! Dizzy and disoriented I sat up and looked at my cousin. His eyes were as big as saucers and I could feel something warm running down my face. "Am I bleeding bad?" I asked. He just nodded and said I had a good cut on my forehead. When I removed my coat to use to apply pressure to my head I felt some serious pain in my right wrist. Aw schnap! I said rather disgustedly, but calmly. My cousin responded "What's wrong". I replied that my wrist was broken pretty bad. When he asked if I was sure I said laughing, yeah, that "S" shape is a dead give away.
To make a long story short I spent that evening in the emergency room. The Radius in my right forearm was snapped off in three places with the head snapped in half, and the ulna had the head broken off as well. I asked the orthopedic surgeon if he could drill a hole in the end of the cast for me to attach an archery release. He laughed and said to consider myself very lucky, but didn't think I'd be out hunting any more that year. He wanted to use plates and pins, but I wouldn’t go for that. We settled on externalized pins that could be removed after the bones healed. Imagine some six inch common nails sticking out of your hand and into your bones and you can get an idea of the “fun” I had for the next 10 weeks. The physical rehab was a royal pain too, and I had bad enough nerve damage that the feeling didn't return to my hand for 8 months. In any case, I healed up very nicely…. in about a year.
My last cast from that incident sits on the end table of the cabin up North as a constant reminder to us all of what can happen when you take safety for granted even in a momentary lapse of reason.
<----<<<

·
Registered
504 Posts
...The last step he went to grab pulled through the nails and he fell 20 feet on his back. He crawled the last 250 yards back to his house taking him almost the entire day and part of the night....
I fell from a 17ft ladder stand one time while trying to put it up. Let me tell you on the way down there's plenty of time to think "Man, it's really going to suck crawling out of these woods.". Like you, I managed a ninja tuck and roll and walked away from it.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Always wear a belt, never use home made wooden stands. IMHO

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The year I turned 12 years old, I kept begging my grandpa to put a treestand up out back for me. So finally we took an old pallet and braced it up in the tree with some 2x4. Of course I was 12, I didnt hunt it much and pretty much forgot it was there. I turned 14 and I was into hunting pretty heavily now. I seen signs of a buck out back to I decided to go sit in that stand that we built(which was surrounded by a corn field on the one side). Across the field came out the biggest bucks to this date that I ever seen. He walked right at me, he got to about 50 yards and I was standing with my bow in hand, when the stand fell from right under me. The rotted wood gave away when I had a monster 8 point at 50 yards! I fell with my bow in my hand, luckily I landed on my feet and watched that deer trot of laughing at me.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
when I was about 13 years old. I had just hung a stand probably about 12 - 15 feet up. I was stomping on it, trying to get it to bite into the tree. The next thing I knew I was riding it down. Luckily for me, nothing happened, I just stood up and went back to hanging it again. Probably being young had a lot to do with no injuries

1 - 20 of 21 Posts