Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a tree saddle for Christmas. Having no prior experience with one, I am looking for any tips or tricks that may come in handy with using one. I am especially interested in info for using one on public land, where defacing a tree is illegal. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,396 Posts
John,

Do a search on the forums and you'll get a ton of info. John Eberhart has posted many great articles regarding the saddle's use on here.

As far as public land, you're gonna have to buy some strap on steps or tote a climbing stick with you. It's definately not as convienient as throwing some screw ins into a tree, but you'll love the saddle none the less.

My suggestion is to get out and do most of your scouting in Jan, when the snow is present and the leaves are gone. Get way back and scout areas with trees shaped like question marks:lol:. Conventional stands are impossible to place in areas like these, and ladders are too heavy to tote, but your saddle will be perfect.

If you can't find what you need on the forums give me a call

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Not sure if they are legal or not on state land here in Michigan, but I use tree spikes. They are not for everybody and take some time to get used to, but they serve me well. Don't give up on the saddle, it takes some time getting used to, but once you get it figured out it is invaluable. Also, but probably not recommended, I free climb a lot of trees, just like when you were a kid.:yikes: I guess it depends on your agility level along with lack of common sense, which I lack quite of bit of the later.:lol: Good luck to you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
try lone wolf tree ladders buy the 4 piece kit. add an additional tree step to the top ladder section. buy knee pads. use a fire/pine tree to hide in. this set up works awesome. 1/4" bolt washers grade 8 to fasten extra step. take your time setting up deer in 20 minute later.

bow or ml. good luck!!!!

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Used one for two years and sold it.

Here in MI, you can't use screw in steps on public land. That's the main reason I got rid of it. It wouldn't be so bad if you could set-up 15+ trees with steps in the spring and then hunt them in the fall. But, for overall mobility, I found that the Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-On and 4 Lone Wolf climbing sticks just work out better all together. Could be cheaper in the long run too since screw in steps aren't cheap.

If you do want to be mobile with a Saddle, you can buy the individual LW sticks to carry around with you. Then, get about 4 Ameristep strap-on tree steps and remove them from the straps. Thread the steps onto a rachet strap and Wa-La!....4 steps to use at the top of the tree...to stand on and manuver. The rachet is loud in the woods though...something to think about.

I had a problem getting into bigger trees with the Saddle too. The lead strap was a pain to wrap around the trunk and most times you couldn't double wrap it like it needs to. So, I hunted mostly skinny trees, with a field behind me (funnel) and open sky in the background, that offered no cover. It really sucked when the tree you need to be in is too big and then there's not another decent tree within shooting distance. There's ways to get around the big trunk problem, but they're not safe enough for me to post here.

The LW system I use allows me to get into trees as small as 6" and as big as about 2'. Cover is not usually a problem either because I hunt above 20' and wear Predator Fall Gray. They never even look at me. Camo is everything in my eyes....MOBU sucks, as does a lot of other patterns.

Just wish I had more time to hunt now....and confidence.

·
Registered
1 Posts
come on!!Online shop for top quality and lower price for you!
Hello! welcome to our website; www shoes-trader com
our company professional wholesale name brands clothes, shoes, handbags, ect, and every month we all can offer you the newest styles and hot sell items.
We offer have the best services, high quality, fast delivery and reasonable price
My company aim:
1).Quality is the power that our enterprise survive for ever;
2)pace is the magic weapon that we win.
3)Payment method : western union/money gram.
4)Min order :6 mixed piceces order
5)Packing: All the products are packed with original Bags and tags also retro cards/ code numder
6)Shipment: fast and safe delivery. Goods will be received in about 5-7 days.
7)Feature:the best quality, competitive price and the best service
welcome to order now!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts