Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an excellent tree identification book for Michigan. I was looking at a few at a book store but I want one with good pictures of bark and leaves. Does anyone have any suggestions?

[This message has been edited by henryboy32 (edited 02-13-2001).]

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Henry, the BEST book on tree and shrub identification is called Michigan Trees, and is authored by Barnes and Wagner. I've seen it at B&N and Borders. It is superior to others in both its rational layout and will enable you to distinguish between closely-related species (ex. American Elm v. Slippery Elm, Scarlet Oak v. Northern Pin Oak, etc.). The book has excellent drawings of leaves, twigs, and buds. However, it does not have any photographs.

If you want color photos, there's another book, not as academic and thorough, written by Norman P. Smith. I think it's called Trees of Michigan or something like that. I have it in my library also, and it has good photos of trees, leaves, and bark.

If you want to become an expert, buy both.

[This message has been edited by farmlegend (edited 02-13-2001).]

·
Banned
694 Posts
Try the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees.
It gives you the zones in which tree grows, discription, range, and if it bears fruit, it will tell you when the fruit ripens. Also, lots of pictures

·
Registered
309 Posts
I also use the Audubon Society's field Guide to North American Trees. It has real photos and shows the flowers and the fruit and leaves during the fall and summer, and barks and gives a good description of it's uses and range...Well worth the money $18.00 and it's smaller that some books...SnS

·
Registered
94 Posts
Henry, "Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs" is an excellent book. I took a tree identification class, and that was the textbook that was used. Also, University of Conneticut, and Oregon State University have web sites that are very helpful.

The UCONN address is www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/common/a.html

The OSU site is at http://osu.orst.edu/dept/ldplants/index.htm

Good Luck
------------------

Scott

[This message has been edited by surveyor_scott (edited 02-16-2001).]

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Thank you surveyor-scott for the two great web sites. I have Master Gardener certification and saved the sites in my Garden file to pass on to my other MG friends and local MSU MG extension.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Henry, glad the sites helped. I keep them bookmarked. They are helpful references. The Dirr text is also very good, alittle pricey, but good.

--------------------

Scott

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am going to be buying some of those mountain ash trees and I was wondering where do you get those
tree shelters to protect them from the deer?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't by tree shelters. I use an old pasture fence that is put in a circle around the base up to around 4 feet. I anchored it with a metal fence post.The deer may still nibble on branches but the bucks won't get to the bark. You may want to cover the bottom with a tree wrap because I may loose two apple trees from mice nibbling the bark off during this heavy winter snow. Many people have used PVC pipe cut in half and taped back together around the tree.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
brians333, you can get tree shelters from Oikos Tree Crops in Kalamazoo. Their 2001 catalog of trees/shrubs qualifies as kickass. Call them at 616.624.6233.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the information.

I called and got a booklet from the oikos company and ordered some. For 50 5ft tree shelters they were like $3.50 each plus shipping. Not a bad deal. All you have
to do is put a stake in the ground and they come with clips that you attach to the stakes. When the trees get
too big there is a spot that you cut them off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just bought a tree book this weekend. It is called Trees of Michigan and the Upper Great lakes. It has color photos. One of the tree, one of the bark, and one of the leaves. It has great descrpitions about the tree, the seeds, the leaves etc... It is written by Norman P Smith.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There are a couple of articles about tree shelters and a list of manufacturers on the Mid-Michigan QDMA website at www.QDMA.net and then go under the Forestry icon. The tree shelters work very well where there is heavy deer browsing.

Expect to pay $2-4 per shelter for a high-quality tree shelter, 4-5 feet tall. Expensive, but well-worth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts