Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Inscrutable Mastermind
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this tree tree today. It has a 4 inch trunk and it about 15 feet tall with a top that is full and round. The pictures are a branch I cut off today. There are flowers, immature fruits and one fruit that is purple all on one branch.
Any ideas? Looks somewhat like an ilex genus.

·
Inscrutable Mastermind
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was familiar with common buckthorn but not glossy buckthorn:
  • Rhamnus frangula (Frangula alnus) – alder buckthorn, glossy buckthorn, breaking buckthorn, black dogwood.
Very interesting how its invasive strategy is to have a bell curve distribution of flowers, ripening fruit, and ripe fruit throughout the late summer and fall.

I know if I posted what's this? on QDMA forums the rejoinder would be to destroy it now because it's invasive. But I'm so busy just stopping and smelling my other Michigan invasive trees and shrubs and forbs and their wonderful deer habitat, that I don't have any time to get rid of it.

And if anyone else needs to borrow my 20 megapixel flip-phone camera for tree ID's, let me know.

·
Premium Member
7,080 Posts
That is the predominant plant in my front yard. It is the the most aggressive invasive I have seen. I grows fast and the birds LOVE the PLENTIFUL berries. Thus, they spread it EVERYWHERE in short order. I have yet to attempt to subdue the plant as the stem count I have in my front yard is impressive. That, and the fact that I have seen a mature buck in my front yard on Oct. 25th 4 of the 5 years I have lived in my home have kept my Triclopyr in the jug. I have not seen it too much more than 15' tall and it does get spindly when more mature. I tend to hinge it (to little effect) and it comes back in a vengence, thus the tremendous stem count.

I have not seen deer use it other than for cover. Of course, they haven't seemed to use my sumac stands either and apparently that is a specie I have underestimated.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
That is the predominant plant in my front yard. It is the the most aggressive invasive I have seen. I grows fast and the birds LOVE the PLENTIFUL berries. Thus, they spread it EVERYWHERE in short order. I have yet to attempt to subdue the plant as the stem count I have in my front yard is impressive. That, and the fact that I have seen a mature buck in my front yard on Oct. 25th 4 of the 5 years I have lived in my home have kept my Triclopyr in the jug. I have not seen it too much more than 15' tall and it does get spindly when more mature. I tend to hinge it (to little effect) and it comes back in a vengence, thus the tremendous stem count.

I have not seen deer use it other than for cover. Of course, they haven't seemed to use my sumac stands either and apparently that is a specie I have underestimated.
Oct 25 has been our best day for mature buck sightings. For cover purposes only in a high ag area would u recommend glossy buckthorn ?

·
Premium Member
7,080 Posts
I don't know if I would recommend it. It was there when I moved in. My hinging the other trees in the front yard has really allowed it to thrive.

I think I would prefer maples as they hinge better and provide deer food in the form of excellent browse.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts

SE Michigan has got to be ground zero for buckthorn infestation. Some major monocultures of it in Wayne County, especially wet areas. I'll take autumn olive over it every time.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I don't know if I would recommend it. It was there when I moved in. My hinging the other trees in the front yard has really allowed it to thrive.

I think I would prefer maples as they hinge better and provide deer food in the form of excellent browse.
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts