Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good posts gentlemen

It strikes me as strange that in our own way, we are the real environmentalists.

Before you blow up, hear me out.

I dont have any use for most people who wear that title, tree huggin idiots who think that there is no difference between the life of a person or the life of a slug. Fools like PETA or ELF who think that we should all live a vegan lifestyle and commune with swamp muck.

But I have equally little use for those who treat the wild places with contemp and wantonly pollute or clearcut 5 acres of woods to put up yet another strip mall half-filled with tanning salons or dollar stores.

Most of us who own property do so at some personel sacrifice. My land is worth several times what my father paid for it and the money I pay in taxes and maintenance would go a long way in my monthly budget. I make these sacrifices and keep my land because to me it has value above its monetary worth. I dont demand that the public maintain open spaces at its expense, I just do it myself and am thankful that I have the means to do that

Rather then scream at the government to leave forests untouched, or whine about the spotted owl, we maintain and care for our little chunk of land and manage it in the manner that best suits the animals that use it. I would bet real money that most of the individuals on this board have done more to help wildlife than any 100 memebers of the sierra club who send in thier annual check.

It may sound corny, but I truly consider myself a steward of the land, I take some but I give back more. I always tell my wife that if the deer herd could be made to understand that all the food I grow and habitat I pant is at the expense of me shooting one or two of them a year, even they would think that thats a pretty good deal.

·
Banned
3,359 Posts
Couldn't agree more. I take great pride in knowing that all our food plots and habitat improvements help out alot of game animals but the non-game animals get as much if not more benefits from them.

·
Registered
7,593 Posts
You got that right!:cool:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Good Post. Hunting is dying mainly from loss of habitat. By keeping habitat out of the hands of developers, road builders, etc we are protecting wildlife and the future of hunting. If you want to look down the road far enough, if we let wildlife to die out surely man will be right behind. For the near term, I just enjoy providing a place for deer, bear, coyotes, racoons, bobcats, hawks, owls, and all the other animals a place to live. I enjoy every minute I spend on my property. Lew

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
TB,

Yeppers, you hit the gold 10 ring.

I love to deer hunt, shoot the odd grouse and call turkeys, but now that the winter venison is secured, I'm thinkin' about next spring, tree orders, food plot plans, taking out some over-mature trees, etc. It was a sacrifice to aquire our place, but it would take an awful lot to make me give it up. Habitat improvement is a year round activity and a very healthy one at that. As SG has said, I'll be glad when gun season is over and I can get in a little winter grouse hunting.

Oh yes, I picked up my Christmas present a little early - a new chain saw.:D ;) :D

Natty B.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Natty,

I hope Santa picked you one that says Stiehl on it!;) Love mine, starts like a dream, and I've had it 6 years now. I can't tolerate anything that doesn't start as it should, but my Stiehl allways has.

I'm not much into planting stuff for deer as most here are. I'm a pheasant and quail type of guy.

I use my saw for cutting down dead, sentinal tress the hawks use to kill off the quail.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
BE,

Yeppers, its a Stihl!! I've had a 031AV for 25+ yrs now and it was gettin' kind of heavy. So I bot a new 021 w/ 14" bar for myself as a Xmas present but a lttle bit early. Already used it a lot setting up deer stands, etc. Now I've got some old apple trees to prune up and cut some more shooting lanes. This saw is perfect for this and it starts every time. Stihl has really made their new saws user friendly.

Merry Xmas everybody!

Natty B.:D

·
Registered
817 Posts
NB, I am another happy Stihl owner. I had a Farm Boss for over 25 years and it never failed me. No matter how I misused it, it always started. Like you I finally gave in and traded it in on lighter model (025) and it is easier to lift and yet it does everything I need to do. What a great saw. Lew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts