Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been doing any good in West Bay in T.C.?
I've had no luck on Salmon yet but did put 1 good laker in the box last week.
Any Kings? What/where seems to work best in your experience? Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes- a little fussy they are... Did fish West Bay yesterday. It was unreal... Didn't even have my 1st line set when it started screaming. 22 pound King on a green fly behind an old-fashioned silver dodger 65 feet down... Managed to land a 2nd fish about an hour later (19 lb'er). Lotta fun...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be out there but didn't enter tournament this year. Good luck to you! Hopefully you hook 80% of the state record and take home the $100K!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Went out on West Bay last night 8/27. Went 1/1 - 19#, pretty dark color already. Caught 'im 80ft down in 105 ft of water using one of those new moonshine lures. I'm heading out now to get a couple more. Got to unpacking everything last night and in the dark behind my shed I could see that lure was still glowing like I had just charged it on the bottom of my boat - two and a half hours after pulling lines. I'm a believer now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on the 1/1 Deerslayer! i was out there last night too. Had a 20 in the boat within 30 minutes of dropping lines. You're right - this one was pretty dark too... Seema a little early to be seeing so many like that doesn't it?

I got mine on the same combo as I mentioned in my other message above that landed me 2 others. Even with Jplugs, spoons, other color flies, hootchies - still all the action on that rig - go figure.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Made it out to west bay sunday morning.Got there before sunrise . Went 2 for 2, 30" @ 14#`s and 32" @ 16#`s. 100 boats in the bay by dawn . Both fish came as the sun was just showing itself above the tree line. They hit a double orange crush spoon, behind a small orange dodger. 65 f.o.w , 55 down off a rigger. Marked alot of fish, most boats had 2 fish some with limits early. That was the chatter.Trying to get out again tuesday or wednesday in the pm, and fish after dark... Both fish were still green, and full of spunk , like only kings have. I havent made it out but a couple times this year, WOW! nothin` like a couple KINGS ripp`n line out to cure what ails ya. GOOD GROCERIES!!!

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Hey Guys,
No report here but a question. I just moved up here to traverse city and don't really know when the fishing gets good. Have any of you been marking kings within casting distance of the Boardman. I have been checking it out lately and no one is fishing. Saw a few yesterday but thats it. There are also a few near the wier but it seems like there just shooting up. I nned to catch some more kings before I go nuts:cool: :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I caught a couple of fish the other night from a boat in shallower water in East Bay and they were starting to get dark so I would like to think that there are fish heading up the Boardman. I hope they all don't go up there too soon though becasue I'm still having fun catching them in the bay.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
stelmon, give me a shout when you have some free time, I'm always willing to show someone around.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
You should take a ride Southwest a little bit. The Platte is not far, and the Betsie is only about 45 minutes away. They get much better runs than the Boardman, although they are further to drive.

Medusa cement plant in Charlevoix is probably getting good to the North right now, and along the way is Elk Rapids, which gets a nominal run and has a dam about 1/4 mile up from the mouth.

Since you are pretty much on the spot, wait until you get a cool rainy night and start fishing somewhere other than the Boardman in the middle of the night. The Frankfort pier can be great at times.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The last few mornings I have noticed 10 to 12 boats anchored in the SW corner of West Bay (NW of the hole). Does anyone know what they are going after? Is that a perch spot? It isn't anywhere near the mouth of the Boardman so I don't believe they floating for salmon. Curious... Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts