Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a long weekend planned in Traverse City, wondering about a good lake up there to catch something. I have a good assortment of equipment for deep or shallow lakes. Any help would be appreciated.

·
-RIP-
3,670 Posts
I was talking to the guy at jacks sports in Kalkaska,he said they were getting out on skegomog but only part way out. Do to thin ice. That was fri so it should be a bit better now.The farther out you go towards the north side the closer your getting to torch rr.Take a spud leave your quad,and go get some perch! BE CAREFUL.

·
Super Moderator
37,679 Posts
I agree with Skegemog, quite a few bruiser Pike in there. Right off the acess on the north side is as good a spot as any. Lots of current through that lake. Don't even venture anywhere near the slot where it joins Elk Lake either.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Lakes up here are slow to freeze because most are fairly large, with at least some channeling current in them, and many are very deep, therefore, it takes longer for them to cool down. Add in the very impressive snow we get up here, which insulates the ice, and you have a recipe for very slow freezing lakes.

Skegemog should be ok by now, as it is shallower with less of a channel, and that's a long way from the area most fishermen are in, but be very careful-we've gotten quite a bit of snow in the last week. Only go where you see others going-stay in the path others use.

The panfishing and pikefishing up here isn't generally worth drowning for anyway...;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Linda, so your saying I may be a little disappointed with the fishing. I live on Lake St. Clair. Have done pretty well on the perch the last few days

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to say that I have to catch something to have fun, I love fishing, just saying I might not see the same action up there as a day on LSC. Do the perch up there prefer minnows or some little critter on a jig? What other fish are biting in these areas? Crappie, walleye, gills, pike

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
The biggest perch I've ever seen from that lake was 4 inches long, and it bit on anything you offered...;)

Seriously, I've only ice-fished that lake a dozen times or so, the lake never was much for panfish, although they do claim to get some good catches of jumbo perch, those days are more in the past, no one really knows what's happened to the perch fishery up here, but in the last decade, it's really fallen off. Lots of little ones, very few over 8 inches, even fewer over the 14 inches that used to be fairly common.

That's probably what happened-I remember seeing buckets full of 14+ inchers on our lakes at one time, but there were also lots and lots of anglers.

Same with the crappie and bluegill fishing, which has always been more of a last ice fishery...

Skegemog has always been known best as a spearing lake for pike and musky. There should be some good pike in that lake, but I never hear about any of those anymore, either.

Get hold of Chris at Jack's...and ask the other fishermen out on the lake-and come prepared for everything except walleye.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Im going to be at the great wolf lodge the 28th and 29th So I might leave the wife and kids there and me and my buddy can go hit skegemog lake. Never fished it before but if you say the pike are good I will give it a try. Any other good lakes in the area?

thanks chad1

·
Super Moderator
37,679 Posts
Clam Lake for pike, Lakes Bellaire and Intermediatle lake for walleye.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
You'll find all of those lakes are closer to TC than the Antrim lakes listed. But, again, watch that ice...closely. Especially on Long, where two snowmobilers who knew the lake well died last year, and Green, which has a good hook and line smelt fishery in February.

January is a risky month on all of these lakes-we can ice fish well into March, and after the first of February and before the end of March is usually when the ice is safest on any of them.

Intermediate is always tricky, except at the south and north ends or in the middle of March, and the main body of Bellaire can be deadly, too, most anglers hit the north arm or off the small access on the east side of the lake.

Just ask around first, then go only where other anglers have gone.

Good ice is a pretty good bet most of the time on Clam Lake, but watch for the bubblers, there's one right by the DNR access on the north side. Bubblers are a growing issue on all of these lakes.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I just read somewhere today that bluegills were being caught in Spider and Arbutus Lakes and perch and walleyes in Fife Lake. A friend has been catching smelt on Green the last few nights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts