Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thinking bout hitting arbutus 5 tomorrow chase some little crappie and gills around, anyone been there, if so hows the ice? Ill report what i find tomorrow
Was there this afternoon/ evening on Arbutus 4. Ice was great, a bit slick out there. Fishing not so much, very few caught that I saw with 4 groups out there.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hit arbutus 5 this morning, got sketchy walking out heading leftish towards that little point, spud went through 4-5 one handed whacks. But found a spot with a big school, caught i couldnt tell you how many sunfish, crappie and some perch, think the biggest was like 3.5 inches, lol fun and got to test some new gear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im heading up to sleeping bear country this weekend. Ice conditions on lime and little glen would be great. Looking to get a few kids to chase some flags and try for some panfish. Any tips would be appreciated. I have summer fish up there but have not iced fish there.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Im heading up to sleeping bear country this weekend. Ice conditions on lime and little glen would be great. Looking to get a few kids to chase some flags and try for some panfish. Any tips would be appreciated. I have summer fish up there but have not iced fish there.
I haven’t heard about lime but I know little glen is being fished, maybe 4-6” but I don’t know fishhand maybe someone else can chime in. I’d think lime might be safe but deeper water close to the Lake Michigan may not be safe, I’d carefully spud out there if you can’t get any better info, we’ve had a warm spell the last few weeks and now are getting a decent amount of snow which won’t help. Lakes are going to be slushy and need a serious cold snap to firm things up and build some ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Be careful on Lime, only saw one guy out a couple weeks ago traveling light, he didn't get far north off the boat launch when I saw him. I only tried ice fishing it once years ago and turned around at about the same spot when ice got thin. Spud around it might be a first ice type bite out there.

Fished School a little tonight and I figure most people would be worried about the ice, 3"-4" clear with a thin layer of water on top, zipped thru with the hand auger in 4 or 5 turns like it was already honeycombed. These warm ice suits claiming they float give me a lot more confidence out on the ice. I just led the way and the wife and kid followed in my tracks. Only released two grubbed up little northerns, but the kiddo landed one of them. Wife got the other.

Haven't been to little glen yet this year, but every time I drive over the narrows there are people out there somewhere. Maybe this weekend I should try it but I always have better luck on Skeg until big Glen freezes, fingers crossed we get cold cold air soon.

received_1040040056493444.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you make the trek across the lake at school? Ever fish bass lake? Feel free to pm if you would like. Thanks for the report. Hopefully the slush freezes. Supposed to be in the 20s for highs which should help.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
She'll have plenty more fish to land I figure, only her fifth or sixth trip on the ice so she's starting to get the hang of it. Does great helping get panfish dinners in the summer open water.

I sometimes go across the lake, but ussually just post up somewhere on the south side if I go, not my favorite lake but the closest we had to fish tonight with the time we had. Ice should firm up good by the end of the week if the forecast holds

Have never had any luck on bass other than top water in the summer, I've heard of nice fish being in there, but I think that holds true with every lake in this area. Did look like open water was by the point on Bass next to the cabins and M22 not that long ago, can't remember when I drove by and saw that but I thought it was odd.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Reminder for all you warm and cozy snugglers out there...The NWMI Fishing Club and The Fallen Outdoors will be hosting an ice fishing outing on Lake Skegemog this Saturday. Come on out, look for our signs. We will get you hooked up!!!

No cost, we have bait, food and gear for anyone that needs it including warm shanties.

Weather looks great! Light and variable (my 3 favorite words).

Come on out and meet a few of your boys. You miss them, I know you do. I do.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
We are bringing snowmobiles and ATVs for setup and transport of people who need it. We are looking at 8” yesterday plus 16 hours of low teens (another inch at least).

Scouts report many machines out there now. No reports of pressure cracks near Baggs Road. Looks good enough for me to being my quad.

Cleats are advised. Not much snow on the ice.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
How are the ice conditions on long? Ready for a snowmobile yet? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Was on north end of long tonight, ice wasn’t great, was about 2.5” of ice under a few inches of water then another 1.5” of ice which I occasionally broke through. Also, i and everyone else were more than 100 yards offshore. Ice is not safe for walking about any deep water. I had two flags that came up empty with 6 lines out. That lake is getting pretty barren these days, definitely ain’t what it used to be.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
We are bringing snowmobiles and ATVs for setup and transport of people who need it. We are looking at 8” yesterday plus 16 hours of low teens (another inch at least).

Scouts report many machines out there now. No reports of pressure cracks near Baggs Road. Looks good enough for me to being my quad.

Cleats are advised. Not much snow on the ice.

Where are you guys setting up?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Guys on little Glen. All open water closer the the bridge.
Here’s a photo of big Glen
DEF2D123-A176-482C-A0C3-0396F7D09127.jpeg

41 - 60 of 116 Posts