Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if it is legal to trap on a river that you can gain access by way of public access? Can you set traps upstream and downstream of this area without getting the private property peoples permission? Can you legally walk in the water and set trap in the water when you are surrounded by private property on both sides with no permission from the land owners? Some people I know say you can it fits under some new law that lets fishermen walk up and down streams and rivers, does trapping fit under this rule or is it completely different. I tend to think it is different because you can have a chance of catching domestic animals? I would like to hear your opinions on this idea.

Thanks
Sarah:lol:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Thats a good question Sarah, and I dont know the answer.

Riparian rights and public access issues can be really complicated and sometimes not clearly defined (such as, determining if a water is "navigable"...which effects alot of the laws).

I'd suggest that you post your question in the Law Forum and let us know what you find out. I dont trap in front of private properties but I'd like to know...because someday I may see an opportunity like that! :D

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
If there is private property on both sides you need permission from the land owners. Riparian rights only apply to fishing.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts