Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy we sure have had some super great trapping weather this year. :bash: We have went right through Spring, Winter, Fall and summer all in the past two months. Snow, rain, freeze, thaw, 50 degrees, 20 degrees, %$#&*(@<>. This is is enough to make a preacher cus.:rant: I guess I shoulda pulled the traps when I heard the weather report, but about the time I pull them we will get ideal conditions and all my sets will look like every critter in the county had visited them. I'm pulling the rat sets out today, actually I'll probably have a few more rats than normal cause the river is riseing and that always gets them moving, but the canine sets are gonna be a mess. Anyone North of Saginaw getting rain or are you guys getting snow?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Frostbite,

Its been raining 12-hours straight here, and is forecasted to switch to snow this afternoon...and accumulate 8 inches.

My castor mound is probably under water or washed away, because I had it sitting right at the waters edge on a gentle slope.

Oh well, I'm getting numb to these weather frustrations. Good way to learn I guess, as future years should seem easier.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NC,
I just got back from the river and it's riseing fast. I pulled four 110 conni's and 8 #1 longsprings, so I'm done with the muskrats for the year. I also pulled seven 1-1/2 monties, so I only have three canine sets left out. I may dabble with two or three canine sets and 3 or 4 beaver sets, but mainly just to be doing something. I hate to quit and there ain't much safe ice any where, so ice fishings out. Hey! maybe I should get the ol salmon boat out:lol: I'll be heading to The fur auction Feb. 4th, so that should be a learning experience for me. Sold all my fox to a local taxidermist, but got some beaver, coyote, mink, muskrat and coon to sell off. By the way you had a really good season this year, congrats on all your catches.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
frostbite said:
Boy we sure have had some super great trapping weather this year. :bash: This is is enough to make a preacher cus.:rant:
Heck, I am no trapper, you guys have had it bad. I just run dogs on varmints and this weather sure hasn't cooperated on bit.

I cannot remember the last time I had to keep my rain gear so handy all "winter" long...
:rant:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I went and scouted some new beaver locations on friday night. I had heard the weather was going south so I waited on setting traps. Glad I did.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FB,

High water usually makes the beaver and muskrats move. Figuring out where to place your traps ahead of time is the problem. My best catches are during high water, but you got to move / adjust your traps as the water rises and falls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts