Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. I reguarly ice fish a public lake by my house that has a public access, the lake has houses on most of it and the area around the lake has lots of coyotes, I've been noticing lots of coyote tracks running the shoreline. The area where the public access is wooded and theres lots of brush and no houses, I've noticed that the coyote tracks always come out of the cattails at a specific spot and go up on top of this muskrat house, I am assuming they get up there too look around! Would it be legal to put a foothold trap on top of the muskrat house??

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
They are looking for a easy meal!! Not to just look around.
yes it should be legal to do. Go get 'em...

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figure the reason was that their looking for the easy meal, I've noticed that they do that alot when I've seen them up deer hunting on Drummond Island, it seems like they are constantly trying to get a better vantage point to view from. My only concern with this area is there are dogs running around all the time, I thought that if I put the trap on top of the muskrat house I'd be less likely to have dog run up on top of it.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Chuckinduck,

In my opinion, a canine is a canine. Domestics act according to the same instincts that wild dogs do. If a wild canine likes to view the surrounding cattails from an elevated position (rat hut) then so will domestics. The same goes for lures, urines and eye appeal at sets...there isnt any way to attract one without attracting the other.

This is why responsible trappers decline to set certain areas. Although the wild canines may be there...so are the domestics. And if you catch a domestic in a "public" place...this will be very bad PR for trapping. True, the fault generally lies with the domestic animals' owner...not keeping fido at home and under control...but I dont think that a passerby will consider that. They just know that a poor doggy got caught in a trap.

From the situation you describe, I suggest that you do not set traps there at that location. Its a shame, too....and I can definetely relate to having to turn my back on great locations...because I perceived a high risk of catching domestics.

-NC

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, its too bad though cause it seemed like a great spot. I am certain they are coyote tracks but I do know there are dogs nearby. Oh well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts