Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about trying this with my 10 yr old son. We have trapped blue crabs on the east coast and figured he would like this too.

My question is, what about fishing in rivers, I am a short walk from the Shiawassee river, that have dnr suggested limits on eating fish? Do the crayfish have the same issues?

Thanks for the help.

Rikk

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thinking about trying this with my 10 yr old son. We have trapped blue crabs on the east coast and figured he would like this too.

My question is, what about fishing in rivers, I am a short walk from the Shiawassee river, that have dnr suggested limits on eating fish? Do the crayfish have the same issues?

Thanks for the help.

Rikk
I have never seen such data, but suspect that crayfish from uncontaminated waters would be safer than those from contaminated basins. Nevertheless, we are not talking about an equivalent limit . If the safety limit in a particular body of water is 3 lake trout per month, for instance, consider how many crayfish tails would equal the same weight of trout fillets - probably more than you are eating and certainly more than I am catching! That assumes that the distribution of toxins is the same in a pound of crayfish meat as it is in a pound of fish fillets, but we know that this varies by species of fish. FWIW, the toxin limits tend to be lower on fatty species of fish. Since 1) I don't see any fat droplets floating on the water in the boil pot, and 2) crayfish sink instead of floating; I would assume they contain less fat than most fish and would therefore be safer for the fat-soluble toxins. Heavy metals, not so much. In my case, I never catch enough of the bugs to have to worry about such things - wish I did.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good point Jim. I guess I never thought about it that way. I'll probably be the only one in my house who eats them anyway. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
an interesting thing about crawdad is they simply do not do well in poluted water. general if you find an active populatin,,,they are good to go. plus unlike longer livedspeci like fish,,they really dont havetime to store up polutants, at least thats my thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts