Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you probably already know about it.. but if you dont works AWESOME.

It's been a horrible year for deer flies around my house so i did some googling yesterday and came accross something that talked about them being overly attracted to the color blue. It said to get a blue solo cup and put some "tanglefoot" all over it. use the clear stuff obviously so they can see the blue.

I couldnt find tanglefoot at meijer so I grab some clear plastic window fly traps and stuck one of them on instead. 30 minutes outside putting (disc golf putting) in my yard and I had 60 of them on the cup. Could have had alot more with 2 cups =D

They said it works great to put a cup or 2 on a pole attached to your lawn mower and ride around the property.. they attack the cup and leave you alone for the most part. Keep it up around you're head level obviously

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Now you should come up with some lyrics and call the song "Blue Solo Cup" and you'll be an instant millionaire! Pretty cool trick though, I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
...it's gonna be a bee-yotch skinning them little frickers......but they sure bite 'big".......

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
No Mosquitos this year but them things are thick.. I saw that idea a while back when I was googling how to repel them..

Cannot even mow the yard they are attracted to the motor noise they attack and follow you and you end up with huge bites.. Might have to give it a try..

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I'm going to strap one to my hat next time I'm at the farm. Hate those things. They don't leave you alone till you kill them or they bite you and it really sucks when they bite you.
Thanks for the tip.
What about a blue hat with some sort of sticky stuff on it. You got me thinking now.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its the bright navy blue i think they said.. a hat with tree tanglefoot on it would be messy but extremely effective.. what about a 30x60 tarp? Lol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoo information engine

·
Registered
630 Posts
Actually it is not messy at all. A little tanglefoot goes a long way! I only used enough to put a very thin coat on the cup. When there is no more room for flies on the cup, I scrape them off with the plastic knife and start over.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I am allergic to their bite and swell up like I was snake bit. I am going to try this on our deck. Now if anyone has a trick for getting rid of Yellow Jackets I'd like to hear that too. :D FRANK

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Hey Frank - I think You still have one of those bites on Your shoulders - Oh wait, that's Your handsome Mug :yikes:! I bought a sleeve of blue cups yesterday and gonna try double sided tape today. Thanks to the OP !!!!!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Now I know why I was attacked by a swarm of deer flies last summer when I got out of my Blue Truck. I thought maybe it was just me.

I might have to consider a different color for my next one.

Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I tried the Vicks vaporrub on my hat yesterday. Maybe it was a fluke and they werent out but I was in the woods and fields for 4 hours and was never bothered by any deer flies. I also had bug spray on so maybe it was the combo but I will be doing this from now on this time of year.

·
Hunter gatherer
8,763 Posts
The observation of the color blue being an attractant - leads me to the question: Why are their "brains" wired that way?
Nothing in nature is Blue except for a couple birds and Flowers?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
We may see the color as blue, but the deerflies may see something totally different. FRANK

·
Hunter gatherer
8,763 Posts
We may see the color as blue, but the deerflies may see something totally different. FRANK
Good point.
I need to pay more attention to Animal planet and Nova...:lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts