Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice for trapping or netting a better walleye minnow than what the bait shops in my area have, I'm all ears. I have trapped a lot of minnows in the warmer water, but they seem to disappear when the water temps dip into the 40's or lower, I assume they go deep in the holes, or up warmer spring fed feeder streams.
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I sure would like to know more on this subject as well not only for fishing but to feed my rainbow I am raising for the pond bought 50 finger size in october they are already 5 - 6 inchs in a 200 gallon tank. someone has to know how to catch them this time of the year please fill us in.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I catch alot of Chubs in the Summer for Catfishing. I go down to a local stream and catch them on hook and line with a small tear drop and piece of worm or better yet a big white grub if I can find one. You can catch around 10 minnows or so on the grub compared to maybe 2 on the worm if your lucky. I'm not sure about this time of year but I have caught Chubs on accident while Steelhead fishing in February. Not sure what it is about Chubs but all types of game fish love them. I know that they outfish Shiners and Sucker minnows by far for Cats. I have used them for Walleyes too at Hardy Dam and had good catches of Perch, Walleye, and Northerns in the same outing. Creek Chubs are my best kept secret for Cats. Not many guys now how or where to get them. I bet they could be caught right now using same methods as in Summer. They are feociuos feeders and you will catch the biggest ones first from every hole. If you don't catch one on the first 2 casts move.

Dan

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 1/2 acre pond that is completely private, no inlet or outlet, 13 ft deep with no winter kill. I had stocked some lake shiners in this pond, for about 6-7 years I could go down with a glass trap crumble up a slice of dry bread, knock a hole in the ice and catch all the 2-4' minnows I ever needed, 3-5 dozen in an hr. or less in 3-4 ft of water. I screwed up and let the boys put a few bass in there shortly after we dug it, it seemed the minnow population was out of control, there was so many minnows they would drive you nuts swimming cause they would nibble on the body 10-20 at a time. But the small bass exploded and have virtually eliminated all the minnows. I had stocked 30, 15" walleye at the same time as the 6 bass. For a few years the minnow population held large numbers untill the baby bass showed up in huge numbers. I really thought the walleye would keep the small bass numbers down, obviously I was mistaken. I think the walleye ate enough minnows to keep the minnows in check, and I can control their numbers due to lack of succesful spawning. Like I said, I had a good supply of minnows even with the walleye for 4-5 years, that is untill all the little bass showed up. The walleye apear in fairly good shape, caught a couple last week just for fun, one fat and sassy female released and a thinner male that went in the fry pan. The pond has been a real joy, a real learning expirience with the walleye, great test water for trying new stuff or methods. I really miss my minnys though....Like gr cat man said, the minnows your using make a huge difference in your sucess fishing, I used my minnows in many different bodys of water and they always out produced bait shop minnys probably 3 to 1. I'm thinking about catching and keeping all the fish I can for a while, then killing the pond off and starting all over again. gr cat man incidently I caught a cat below Knapp st. several years ago that was a real pig, near as I could tell she weighed in around 35lbs, I'm around 180 lbs and her head is about as wide as my chest in the photo, 39 inches long if I rember right. This was the end of February in a slack water seam jigging walleye with 6lb test. 45 minute tussle to net, what a grin...good thing she was lethargic due to the cold water.:) So I have succesfully produced minnows from the pond in winter, but I'm going to have to pull the waders on this year and continue to check flowing water for the little buggers, I know they are there some where...just need to put the program together. Have a great day guys and thanks.

Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts