Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone using for transportation on the ice, other than walking? I'm looking into gettin a 4x4 quad to use for ice fishing, hunting, a little trail riding and even some plowing - I want to hear some personal reviews and recommendations of quads rather than what you hear/ read from a dealership.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Ultimate ice machine? Willcraft.

Next best thing? 2 up fan cooled studded with reverse.

What do I use? A 300 dollar beater. 1 cylinder 185 cc . 7 inch lowrance gps and a 27 inch light bar. Electric start fan cooled. Homemade auger rack/ shanty hitch.

I don't recommend it but she gets the job done

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
First time I got to use my new sportsman 570 on the ice was yesterday, and I must say I wasn’t disappointed. I was able to load pretty much 3 people’s worth of gear and 2 people on the quad (including me), and pull my other buddy in a sled (yes I know it’s not recommended). No studs or chains on the tires, and I’d did just fine in light snow covered lake.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Sky Tire Snow Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Wheel Tire Vehicle Snow Automotive tire
I use my Polaris ace 570, I screw short sheet metal screws into my tires at a slight angle, works great! Bought it new in ‘15, it has a little pickup bed & I put a hitch rack on it for ice fishing. Put a plow on it a couple weeks ago, plows great with the rear mount motor. Don’t have many pics,

·
Registered
501 Posts
First time I got to use my new sportsman 570 on the ice was yesterday, and I must say I wasn’t disappointed. I was able to load pretty much 3 people’s worth of gear and 2 people on the quad (including me), and pull my other buddy in a sled (yes I know it’s not recommended). No studs or chains on the tires, and I’d did just fine in light snow covered lake.

Although it is not recommended to tow a person it is legal, and you won't get a ticket for it. Riding 2 on your quad set up like that you can get a ticket for it though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is it only legal with a legitimate “2-up” seat? Thanks for the heads up, I’ll still take my chances on the ice. I appreciate it tho

·
Registered
155 Posts
View attachment 480743 I use my Polaris ace 570, I screw short sheet metal screws into my tires at a slight angle, works great! Bought it new in ‘15, it has a little pickup bed & I put a hitch rack on it for ice fishing. Put a plow on it a couple weeks ago, plows great with the rear mount motor. Don’t have many pics,
I don’t have a picture but I use a 370 ace

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
First time I got to use my new sportsman 570 on the ice was yesterday, and I must say I wasn’t disappointed. I was able to load pretty much 3 people’s worth of gear and 2 people on the quad (including me), and pull my other buddy in a sled (yes I know it’s not recommended). No studs or chains on the tires, and I’d did just fine in light snow covered lake. View attachment 480729 View attachment 480731 View attachment 480733
You'll need a little more snow than that before it becomes an issue.
Ultimate ice machine? Willcraft.

Next best thing? 2 up fan cooled studded with reverse.

What do I use? A 300 dollar beater. 1 cylinder 185 cc . 7 inch lowrance gps and a 27 inch light bar. Electric start fan cooled. Homemade auger rack/ shanty hitch.

I don't recommend it but she gets the job done

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That setup works great! And that light bar is bright as hell.
What is everyone using for transportation on the ice, other than walking? I'm looking into gettin a 4x4 quad to use for ice fishing, hunting, a little trail riding and even some plowing - I want to hear some personal reviews and recommendations of quads rather than what you hear/ read from a dealership.
Alot depends on your needs, for the uses you mentioned sounds like an atv is your best bet. The idea situation would be having both....but I would only use the atv for trails and plowing the driveway lol

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
A quad with a set of tracks. You can take them off when the snow is gone for hunting and trail riding. Put them on for ice fishing and plowing. Floats over snow and all but the absolute worst slush. Stacks snow when plowing like a little bulldozer.

The only advantages a snowmobile has are top end speed and skipping cracks. My only ice fishing is spearing, so neither of those is a concern of mine. I don't trail ride, so I keep the tracks on year round.
Snow Automotive tire Water Sky Tire

Remember, you wanted this.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
A quad with a set of tracks. You can take them off when the snow is gone for hunting and trail riding. Put them on for ice fishing and plowing. Floats over snow and all but the absolute worst slush. Stacks snow when plowing like a little bulldozer.

The only advantages a snowmobile has are top end speed and skipping cracks. My only ice fishing is spearing, so neither of those is a concern of mine. I don't trail ride, so I keep the tracks on year round. View attachment 480977

Remember, you wanted this.
You're forgetting the price of those tracks will get you a 2up fan cooled sled with electric start and reverse.
I feel safer on a snowmobile than I do a quad. Definitely not knocking quads as I started off ice fishing with one. One trip in deep snow without tracks on the quad was enough for me to buy a sled. That was probably 10 years ago and I still feel the back pain from trying to get back into shore.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have a 2019 Polaris 850 xp touring. It gets my self and another rider to our spot most of the time. Make sure you get good tires. I found last year a challenge if you run into water on ice but if you are on good solid no slush ice, no issues. I also have a flip over shanty I use a tow-bar on. Holds all my gear and I am good to go. With all that said once the ATV is paid off I will be getting a snowmobile. Though I live in Fenton I have land in Cheboygan. The snow up that way can prove challenging in some cases and a snowmobile will work better for ice fishing. I found my self in the same (boat) wanting something that will allow trail riding, hunting, and ice fishing opportunities. No regrets on the ATV. I just think one of each gives me a lot more options. I also have another sled with a box on it. I have pulled 3 adults (including my self) and two kids at one time across a lake to go fishing. Not a lot of snow and good Ice with no problem. (Gear included)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Have a 2018 polaris sportsman 450, works great for me. Use it around the house, plow, and for ice fishing. Suits my needs and a big improvement from walking.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I have a 1970 Johnson wide track. elec start and reverse
Nice! Yup! Electric start reverse wide track and....a cigarette lighter lol
work horses! And simple! Premix and just make sure your crank seals are good. I love the ole girl, she been water up to the handle bars, towed out, and she still lives! So we picked up another two. Lol we just use for ice fishing

·
Premium Member
11,606 Posts
Nice! Yup! Electric start reverse wide track and....a cigarette lighter lol
work horses! And simple! Premix and just make sure your crank seals are good. I love the ole girl, she been water up to the handle bars, towed out, and she still lives! So we picked up another two. Lol we just use for ice fishing
Mine came from over by TC and the guy I bought it from dad bought it and used it on the farm for 1 year. He put it away in the spring and passed away during the summer. The reg stickers on it were from 1974. It sat covered in the barn until I bought in about 10 years ago. Seat is like new and I cleaned it up mixed up gas and it started right up and ran good once the smoke cleared out

1 - 20 of 40 Posts