Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new/ used boat Starcraft titan supporting a 150 hp Yamaha.I’m thinking I need a support to help save on the transom. What are you guys running, pros and cons.I’m guessing they got to help. What are you guys running?

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
A transom saver is kind of a misnomer. The torque that the 150 will put on the transom will far exceed anything you will see bouncing down the road. I run a transom saver(I use the My Wedge) to prevent my lower unit from dragging on the ground if the lift fails or drifts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A transom saver is kind of a misnomer. The torque that the 150 will put on the transom will far exceed anything you will see bouncing down the road. I run a transom saver(I use the My Wedge) to prevent my lower unit from dragging on the ground if the lift fails or drifts.
This is also what I have always thought.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Yeah lots of back and forth on this

I use one. More to protect my hydraulics on my tilt/trim from the shock of crappy roads and potholes than anything. And if it were to fail going down the road the transom saver will keep the lower unit from dragging

I dont see the harm in using one. Been using one for all my 30+ years of towing a boat

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Transom savers are really only needed on manual tilt outboards that may not have the ground clearance to lock in the down position, or tiller motors to keep them swinging side to side since there’s not steering system hooked up to keep it from moving.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes, as long as you have the clearance under the skeg. I've never towed big boats with 150+ motors, but I firmly believe nothing stresses a transom less than a motor locked in the fully down position. Eliminates leverage. When I drove a higher truck, I used a draw bar with lots of drop.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Don't buy one of the $35.00 bass pro or cabelas. I found a good one made in Minnesota don't remember the name.

·
Premium Member
10,773 Posts
Transom savers are really only needed on manual tilt outboards that may not have the ground clearance to lock in the down position, or tiller motors to keep them swinging side to side since there’s not steering system hooked up to keep it from moving.
This here is a good reason for one. My inlaws moptor bounced all thetime when we followed them to Canada. About3 years of that and things happened once we got to where we were going. He said my boat leaks. He had a Meyers 14 foot and the transom was welded no rivet. My son and I pulled it out of the water and the weld was broke 3/4 the way around the transom. I think had they went out one more time the transom would have fell out. That motor bouncing was like a jack hammer on it.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Actually my motor is a 1995 Johnson 200 it does not have the towing bar people are talking about

I use the transom saver like I mentioned earlier, works for me, I dont worry about it,. Just put it on and forget about it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank for all the info.... my biggest concern was our roads...I will probably be getting both , the wedge and the saver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts