Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family is in Grand Rapids and I currently live in Cincinnati, Ohio. My brother wants to gift me with two pistols that he owns. Since I live in Ohio and he lives in Michigan, can anyone help me with the procedures I need to follow to legally transfer ownership of both so I can transport back to Ohio where I will keep them? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
My family is in Grand Rapids and I currently live in Cincinnati, Ohio. My brother wants to gift me with two pistols that he owns. Since I live in Ohio and he lives in Michigan, can anyone help me with the procedures I need to follow to legally transfer ownership of both so I can transport back to Ohio where I will keep them? Thanks.
It cannot happen.

Because you are a non-resident, one of two things must happen.

Either your brother transports them to Ohio and then transfers to you through an FFL there or, he ships them to an FFL in Ohio and the FFL transfers them to you.

That is the only legal way to do it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Either your brother transports them to Ohio and then transfers to you through an FFL there or, he ships them to an FFL in Ohio and the FFL transfers them to you.

That is the only legal way to do it.
This is correct.

If your brother decides to ship, then he might want to have an FFL do this. While it is not required, they often have cheaper shipping options.

·
proud to be a.......
8,945 Posts
I think what WoW meant was.....he cannot transfer the weapons to him in Michigan and then take them back to Ohio himself.

FEDERAL FIREARMS LAWS
13.Transferring Personal Firearms (sell, give, loan)
a. A resident of a State may transfer a firearm to a resident of the same State.
1) But may not transfer a Hand Gun to a person under 18 years of age, § 922 (x)(1), 1 year or 10 years; see exceptions, § 922 (x)(3).
b.A resident of a State may not transfer a firearm to a resident of another State, § 922 (a)(5), 5 years, but ...
1)May transfer a firearm to a non-resident via a Will or intestate succession (no Will but State law describes division of estate), § 922 (a)(5)(A). May loan or rent a firearm to a non-resident for temporary lawful sporting purposes, § 922 (a)(5)(B). May deliver a firearm to a non-resident by first delivering the firearm to an FFL in the recipient’s State, the transfer would then take place at the FFL’s premises, § 922 (a)(1)(A).

http://www.fedcoplaw.com/html/federal_firearms_laws.html

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I think what WoW meant was.....he cannot transfer the weapons to him in Michigan and then take them back to Ohio himself.
Exactly.

That was the question that was asked, was it not?

·
proud to be a.......
8,945 Posts
Last edited by dead short; Today at 10:26 AM.

He deleted his response to you and my response to him (didn't know you could do that?... quoting him)
I guess you missed it WoW......just didn't want you to take my post the wrong way.

·
Registered
305 Posts
What law would prevent the MI brother from hiring the OH brother to transport the guns to a FFL in OH to be transferred to the OH brother?

·
Registered
211 Posts
What law would prevent the MI brother from hiring the OH brother to transport the guns to a FFL in OH to be transferred to the OH brother?
I guess that depends on the trust you have with the OH brother. What if he says screw it, I'm not going to the expense and trouble, I have them, I'll just keep them without going to an FFL. If that happens, the MI brother would be in violation of federal firearms laws by not following the proper procedures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts