Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
What do you guys think is better? The through hull type, or the transom mount transducers? Thanks.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
It all depends on the boat, as well as money. Most new "Fiberglass" boats are no longer that. You can't just drill a hole and throw it in. You need to clear the coring out 2" around the hole (down to the glass) and epoxy that area before you install the Thru hull. If not, your asking for a boat that will not pass a survey (Balsa core Sea Ray, anyone???). So with the cost of proper installation and the xduzer itself (if you have it installed), your looking at upwards of over $600-800. And you still gotta get the display. If you set up a Transom mount properly, it will almost work just as good as a thru hull, and only cost you $150.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Done And Done. I didn't know that the installation was so complex. If you haven't notice I am new to this boat rigging thing. Buying a used Sea Ray and the Electronics are as old as the boat. So I am digging as much as I can so I don't load up the credit card on a load of junk.:yikes: Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
If your Sea Ray is older (early 80's and older), you many not have coring. But if your on a budget, go with a Transom mount. If installed correctly, it will work just as good. The big difference is marking fish when your running. Thru Hull will do better than a Transom, but not a big deal, the fish you see when running are gone when you set down anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts