Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some info and or experience on shock collars, don't need the top collar on the market, but don't want to buy junk either. I have been looking on the cabela's site and sports dog seems popular (made in China), could be because it is good or could be because of the price. Either way I know nothing about them, but am thinking of getting one, anyone know of a good brand and or any advice would be much appreciated

Also looking at the three video's pack Retriever Fever wondering if anyone has had a chance to view these and or if they are worth the money?

Thanks, any info will be helpful:)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am looking at collars too. The one i want is the tri tronics sport upland g3, but can not afford it right know, so i think i am going with tri tronic sport basic.
Look on GUN DOG SUPPLY ......they review all collars. I thought about the sport dog 800 , you are suppose to be able to add a beeper to that collar, and be able to use the same transmitter .as long as it has.. tone ......but the reviews do not seem to good on sport dog. They say the sport basic covers 95 % all problems.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
You can find some pretty good deals on craigslist. I found an unused Dogtra 2500 for $200. There are some on the overstock type e-stores also. Take some time to really research them.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
I have use the sportdog units and TT both work good and seem to last equally
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
I would recommend the tri tronics G3 basic. Great quality and unbearable customer service with TT.

RH

unbearable? ;)

My preference and personal experience......Tritronics or Dogtra. Spend a little more-you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I use a Dogtra have been very happy with it's performance. I purchased from E-Bay new and saved about $100 from what a retail store was charging for a two dog unit. You do have to do some shopping to know what kind of $$$ these are going for and there is a HUGE difference in prices on E-Bay from seller to seller. Alot of people like TT, but my experiance with them is only from a set the kid bought used. Was always at the Collar Clinic, so IMHO, don't cheap out and buy a used set. To give you an idea how old my Dogtra set is, it's a NP202 Gold Series and I'm still using the original batteries that hold a charge all day long. If you condition your batteries correctly from the start and run them all the way down before charging, they last alot longer. This is why I bought a two dog unit for one dog. I run the collar until it is blinking on low battery, then switch to the other collar. Leave the other collar on until it shuts itself down, then charge it. The difference in price at the time for a Dogtra two dog unit verses a one dog, was $100. $250 for a one dog and $350 for the two dog unit at the retail stores, found a new two dog set on E-Bay for $250. That was kind of a push but hey, have been using these for over 8 years now with no issues.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Dogtra NCP collars would be my choice,however that is not the important thing.
What is important is what goals of development do you have? And what training program is going to help you reach your goals with the dog?
Once these are realized finding the right equipment will be simple.

·
Registered
718 Posts
i have been using a sd800 for about 6 years and the only thing i didnt like was the life cycle of the battery. but then i found out that i was over charging it. (i just plugged it in when not in use) so the batteries were only lasting 2 or so years. now with new ones its good to go. and the price is hard to beat..

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I'm not a fan of sportdog. Had one and issues with it. The breaking point was when it started not giving consistent corrections. I spent money on a TT flyaway that was on clearance and have very happy with it.

One factor is how much you're going to use it. Are you going to train a finished retriever or just a pet that hunts once in a while? The finished retriever would need a higher end collar like a Dogtra or TriTronics.

Also, do some research on collar conditioning. The short version is that the dog has to know the command first before using the collar. THen you overlay the command with the collar. Just don't put the collar on and go to town is what I'm saying. I'm just repeating what people who know more have said.

If you know this stuff sorry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts