Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to start off by saying I'm not a hunter, yet at least. I do plan on picking up bird hunting with my new father-in-law, who is an avid hunter. Anyways, a few weeks ago we rescued a puppy (6 months old) who we think has the potential to be a good hunter. He is a mix of breeds, not really sure on some but this is what we think we are dealing with:

Mother is an Irish Setter / Brittany. We aren't sure on the father, but we think their may be some Lab or Golden Retriever in there. We think there may also be a bit of Australian Shepherd. I have seen him point on a number of occassions, so that could confirm the Brittany presence.

I was curious if anyone had any recommendations on a good hunting dog trainer in Oakland County / Southeast Michigan

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Congrats on a new dog and you did a good thing!

Please don't take offense at what I'm going to say.

Most pro trainers deal with prue bred dogs for various reasons. The biggest one would be with a pure bred dog you have a greater chance of the dog having the genetics in place to do what you want. A pro can be expesive, around $600 a month and one month of training isn't going to get the job done. I'm sure there's someone out there that would train the dog for you. Keep in mind that your dog may not have what it takes or it could be a rock star, it's just unknown at this point. This is why a lot of hunters go the pure bred route so they increase their chances of getting the dog that will do what they want.

With all that being said, your new best bud ain't gonna give a rats butt who his mom and dad were. He or she will just want to please you. I know because the dog in my avatar was a lab/rot mix. If you do want to go to a pro trainer the best way to get the best bang for you buck is to have basic obedience down and the dog knows your in charge and listens to you and isn't out of control. Otherwise the trainer will have to do this before the hunt training even begins and that'll cost you. Plus, I think every dog should at least have basic obedience so they're a good canine citizen. Also, there's training books out there that you can read and there's people on here that would probably help you out if you asked.

Regardles of what you do enjoy your time with the dog, they're wonderful animals whether they're hunting birds or sitting on floor next to you when you're watching TV.

·
Registered
363 Posts
See if you can find someone who will work with you, in training your pup. You will get more joy out of working with dog, but getting someone help you along. Our preserve up here will be do dog train classes during the summer, so check with yours down there.

Pick up some training books and/or DVD's and try to get started. Go to Lion Country Supply they great collection of book and DVD's

http://www.lcsupply.com/Pointing-Dog-Training/products/199/

Have fun and congratulations!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on a new dog and you did a good thing!

Please don't take offense at what I'm going to say.

Most pro trainers deal with prue bred dogs for various reasons. The biggest one would be with a pure bred dog you have a greater chance of the dog having the genetics in place to do what you want. A pro can be expesive, around $600 a month and one month of training isn't going to get the job done. I'm sure there's someone out there that would train the dog for you. Keep in mind that your dog may not have what it takes or it could be a rock star, it's just unknown at this point. This is why a lot of hunters go the pure bred route so they increase their chances of getting the dog that will do what they want.

With all that being said, your new best bud ain't gonna give a rats butt who his mom and dad were. He or she will just want to please you. I know because the dog in my avatar was a lab/rot mix. If you do want to go to a pro trainer the best way to get the best bang for you buck is to have basic obedience down and the dog knows your in charge and listens to you and isn't out of control. Otherwise the trainer will have to do this before the hunt training even begins and that'll cost you. Plus, I think every dog should at least have basic obedience so they're a good canine citizen. Also, there's training books out there that you can read and there's people on here that would probably help you out if you asked.

Regardles of what you do enjoy your time with the dog, they're wonderful animals whether they're hunting birds or sitting on floor next to you when you're watching TV.

No offense taken, I'm aware most tend to deal with and specialize with pure bred dogs. He is starting his obedience classes today actually, so we'll see where takes him. My father in law just got him a pheasant dummy and some scent, so I'm going check out some books and DVDs and see what I can do on my own for now.

Thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
No offense taken, I'm aware most tend to deal with and specialize with pure bred dogs. He is starting his obedience classes today actually, so we'll see where takes him. My father in law just got him a pheasant dummy and some scent, so I'm going check out some books and DVDs and see what I can do on my own for now.

Thanks for the suggestions
Good, if my lab/rot mix wouldn't have been gun shy I would've gone and tried to train her up to hunt.

Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would recommend talking to Bill Murdock at Colonial Farms in Chelsea, MI. I can't imagine he wold decline you because you have a mix'd breed. After all the breeds in your dog are Upland dogs. My lab is on his website. He calls her the "MIracle Dog", never thought she would (as others) make a hunting dog. After all her background was Service Dog for 4 yrs w/o a feather in her mouth. He made it possible and now we have our Upland UKC title, and hunt upland. . GO FOR IT.. Good luck, enjoy your dog.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
I would recommend talking to Bill Murdock at Colonial Farms in Chelsea, MI. I can't imagine he would decline you because you have a mix'd breed. After all the breeds in your dog are Upland dogs. My lab is on his website. He calls her the "MIracle Dog", never thought she would (as others) make a hunting dog. After all her background was Service Dog for 4 yrs w/o a feather in her mouth. He made it possible and now we have our Upland UKC title, and hunt upland. GO FOR IT... Good luck, enjoy your dog.
Welcome to MSF!

You are being very modest about Flicka. We do call her THE MIRACLE DOG and for good reason. Other than Flicka, I have never heard Bill come in from a private lesson with a dog and their owner and say, "It will take a miracle to turn that dog into a hunter." I still remember that day and Bill really thought it was impossible after her first lesson. It was because Flicka showed absolutely NO INTEREST in the birds period. She was not birdy (excited about the birds) at all and actually wanted to mother her new feathered friends. It is because of your continued private lessons, homework drills, Flicka's remarkable intelligence, and of course plenty of live birds that she became a hunter, and a very good one at that.

She continues to impress everyone with her extraordinary talent in many realms of various competition venues.

Keep up the GREAT work!

Everyone meet Flicka, the Miracle Dog!

Flicka
AKC: O M , UDX, SH, WCX, RE, NA, NAJ, CCA; CKC: OTCH, JH, WCI,
UKC: UD, AG1, UpH., HR

Flicka
AKC: O M , UDX, SH, WCX, RE, NA, NAJ, CCA; CKC: OTCH, JH, WCI,
UKC: UD, AG1, UpH., HR

By the way, Bill does train all breeds of bird dogs (no pedigree required) and their owners how to hunt. As long as they are birdy, he can teach "YOU" how to turn your bird dog into a hunter by guiding you along the way with private lessons ... and in the special case of Flicka, even if they are not at all interested in the birds! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
After reading some of the post I'm afraid some people misunderstood what I was trying to say. I wasn't trying to say a trainer wouldn't train his dog. I was trying to say that....oh never mind, I'll probably not get it right again.

Casio, I've think Bill and Vickie are good people and I've used their place to train and have been happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.