Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Trailer Hubs

1224 Views 13 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  DecoySlayer
What is a good top brand trailer hub that I can buy? I’ll pay the extra for the piece of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Good info. Thanks
These tie downs are great hubs. Never have to remove bearings to repack them.

https://trailerparts.com/tie-down-5...MI6uLehu_22QIVVbXACh1pSw6HEAQYASABEgJx2vD_BwE

Marty
What ever you get buy quality.Disassemble inspect and repack every year.With that program you will not have too many issues.The bearings and races should last the lifetime of the trailer.
I have been shopping for a new boat trailer. All the high end custom trailers come with vortex hubs. I originally thought the oil bath hubs were the way to go. Come to find out some oil bath
guys are switching to Vortex because of condensation build up inside the hub from immersing warm hubs in cold water. Also if you lose or crack a cover on oil bath you will have catastrophic failure sooner. I have lost 2 bearing buddy's going to Wheatley over the years with no failures.
These tie downs are great hubs. Never have to remove bearings to repack them.

https://trailerparts.com/tie-down-5...MI6uLehu_22QIVVbXACh1pSw6HEAQYASABEgJx2vD_BwE

Marty
Reactions: kisherfisher
Oil bath bearings have been used in the trucking industry for decades with no issues. Why do they use them on heavy duty trucks? Because they are more reliable.
I have never lost an oil cap on a truck , trailer or boat trailer. Can't say the same thing for grease caps or bearing buddies, and I have a LOT more miles on oil baths. Never had a bearing failure on oil bath bearing either, can't say the same for grease cup bearings.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Reactions: scooter_trasher
Anyone heard of or have a trailer with "EZ Lube System? I just checked, and this is what the Eagle trailer I bought last year came with. I want to say that it's something akin to the "Bearing Buddy" type hub, but not really that sure.
I worked on a trailer with them once. It's actually a great improvement on bearing buddies. You just have to lift tire off ground and spin it while pumping new grease in, keep pumping till the grease coming out runs clean. Even though you are pumping from the front, the grease goes through from the back side of the inside bearing. Everything gets freshened. Use a good waterproof grease, do it a couple times a year to make sure the drilled passages in the axle stay clear and you're good forever, or till a seal goes. They don't last forever.....
Reactions: Mags
The only hub failure I've seen was from smoking a bearing and spinning the race and Ive seen plenty of whole spindles break off on the road from seized bearings & overloading, practice good PM and don't use your boat for a cargo trailer and you will likely never have a problem besides a flat tire.
I never had a problem with my oil bath hubs on my truck, but I never immersed them in icy cold water.
Oil bath bearings have been used in the trucking industry for decades with no issues. Why do they use them on heavy duty trucks? Because they are more reliable.
I have never lost an oil cap on a truck , trailer or boat trailer. Can't say the same thing for grease caps or bearing buddies, and I have a LOT more miles on oil baths. Never had a bearing failure on oil bath bearing either, can't say the same for grease cup bearings.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Reactions: ESOX and junkman
my trailer has the oil bath hubs,first one ive owned with them.seems like a big improvement to me.i have noticed when on the road they seem to run cooler when checked.plan on changing the lube this spring.i would think the 15 min prep time getting the boat ready to launch would let them cool enough.
My usual tow to the lake isnt long enough to test the hot hub in a cold lake theory.
I never had a problem with my oil bath hubs on my truck, but I never immersed them in icy cold water.
I seldom go more that 25 miles, and that is only twice a year. Most of the time it's 8 miles, or less.
My usual tow to the lake isnt long enough to test the hot hub in a cold lake theory.
Reactions: ESOX
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.