Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I like to go ice fishing occasionally to a remote lake which is only accessible by snowmobile (when there's snow on the ground). We have to ride a couple of miles on a groomed snowmobile trail. We don't trail ride anymore. Now that the cost of a permit is $35, I'm not sure if it's worth shelling out $35 to fish this lake a couple of times a year. Why can't there be a cheaper permit for ice fisherman? :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Probably because then all the snowmobilers would claim to be ice fishing. :)

Really though, not sure. A better question for the people that make these decisions (Lansing) rather than the people on this site. I can imagine that a lot of ice fishermen that currently don't need one would not want to pay for a permit.

I can understand what you're saying though, but groomed trails are not the only location where you need a permit. If it truly is not accessible any other way and if you are trailering your sleds to a drop off point and then riding back through a "trail" to go ice fishing, ask the local C.O.'s how they would handle it, and then run it by the district office where you are fishing.

·
Registered
882 Posts
It used to be you needed a permit only on a groomed trail. That's not the case anymore.

I say they should just add a fee on to the registration and be done with it rather than have a seprate fee and sticker and let the non-resident buy the sticker.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks for the info. Taking my 78 cheetah 500 to Cadillac ice fishing. Its not a trial sled for sure! But this thing is showroom condition with only 800 miles on it. Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably because then all the snowmobilers would claim to be ice fishing. :)

Really though, not sure. A better question for the people that make these decisions (Lansing) rather than the people on this site. I can imagine that a lot of ice fishermen that currently don't need one would not want to pay for a permit.

I can understand what you're saying though, but groomed trails are not the only location where you need a permit. If it truly is not accessible any other way and if you are trailering your sleds to a drop off point and then riding back through a "trail" to go ice fishing, ask the local C.O.'s how they would handle it, and then run it by the district office where you are fishing.
But if snowmobilers don't have ice fishing gear, auger, etc. they'd be hard pressed to claim they are ice fishing. If you're pulling a portable shanty with all the gear, it's obvious you're not trail riding. I've asked the local CO and he said "yes, you'd get a ticket". That stinks. I think I will call Lansing and see what their response is.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
But if snowmobilers don't have ice fishing gear, auger, etc. they'd be hard pressed to claim they are ice fishing. If you're pulling a portable shanty with all the gear, it's obvious you're not trail riding. I've asked the local CO and he said "yes, you'd get a ticket". That stinks. I think I will call Lansing and see what their response is.
It would be the same you will get a ticket. The idea of an Ice Fisherman using a snowmobile for transportation. For example, going from your house on the lake to your fishing spot and back to your house when you are done fishing. Or from the parking area at the lake to your fishing spot, back to where you parked.

If you are on a marked snowmobile trail at any time you need to have the trail permit sticker. It is cheaper to buy the sticker then it is to pay the fine.

The money generated from permits go to trail up keep. It was developed by the Michigan Snowmobile Asscioation.

·
Registered
437 Posts
324.82118 Michigan snowmobile trail permit.
(8) A snowmobile used solely for transportation on the frozen surface of public waters for the purpose of ice fishing is exempt from the requirement of purchasing and displaying a snowmobile trail permit sticker under this section.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
They're probably going to leave it up to the officer to make the decision.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
I aggree I don't see why they just don't add the 35 dollar fee to the registration of the snowmobile.
Because every 3 years you would have to pay an additional $100. Think how many people would complain about that. Even though it would work out to the same price paid, most want a payment plan. IMO we should do away with the registration and only do a trail permit. I don't have to register my ATV or dirt bike every year or 3 years. I only need to buy an ORV permit each year. The sled registration is just a pathetic and successful means of collecting more money each year. Money that does not go towards bettering snowmobiling in any way.

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Because every 3 years you would have to pay an additional $100. Think how many people would complain about that. Even though it would work out to the same price paid, most want a payment plan. IMO we should do away with the registration and only do a trail permit. I don't have to register my ATV or dirt bike every year or 3 years. I only need to buy an ORV permit each year. The sled registration is just a pathetic and successful means of collecting more money each year. Money that does not go towards bettering snowmobiling in any way.
Michigan State Law allows for snowmobiles to be ridden on the Right of Way of the roads. There for I believe they have to be registered. Other states require atv's to be registered like a car. I would not be surprised due to the new state law allowing them on roads, soon atv's will have to be registered.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I can't think of any states that have snowmobiling that don't have a real registration with title like we do. In actuality, many states have a "real" registration for ORV's also in addition to the title, not just a sticker.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
324.82118 Michigan snowmobile trail permit.
(8) A snowmobile used solely for transportation on the frozen surface of public waters for the purpose of ice fishing is exempt from the requirement of purchasing and displaying a snowmobile trail permit sticker under this section.
Lansing is going to go by the letter of the law as posted above...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I spoke to Lansing and they said I'd have to contact my State Rep. It would have to become law to change something like that. Can't imagine that being very high on anyones list and I wouldn't make it very high either. I did send an e-mail to Lindburgh's office but I think this State has bigger problems to take care of. Oh, well. Unless my wife talks me into getting a trail permit, the fish will be safe from us this winter on our wilderness retreat.

·
Banned
484 Posts
Beleive me, there are a few legislative bozo'z in Lansing who tried to to get 4 ORV bills passed last year and a raise in ORV sticker fee's , to 30.50 per sticker.And another one that would also force ATVs and ORVs to be registerd just like snowmobiles,another 20.00 fee.

This is nothing more than a complete waste of our funds since our ORV Sticker $$ already goes towards the full support of our sport, like trail maintenence, law enforcement, damage restoration, safety classes, ect.

Watch out, I suspect the non-profits [ who gain financially from these fee increases ] and a few other ''special interests'' to go to Michigan Legislators again and re-introduce legislation that will go after the increases I mentioned above.

Than nobody will afford our sport.:rant:

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
From a law enforcement perspective I think it would be nice to have an actual registration to look at as a quad is taking off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.