Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any trail conditions reports near Hubbard Lake, just south of Alpena? We usually go riding over New Year's but I do not want to pull the sleds up if the trails are destroyed.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Don't know about around Hubbard Lake but the friends we have up north have reported the trails and lakes around both the Alpena and Houghton Lake areas are pretty much wiped out of snow for now. Although its been a little cooler there than here they've not gotten any new snow and the stuff that was there has been hit hard by the rain and warmer weather lately. Sorry for the "bad" report. We were hoping to get out around Houghton Lake area this coming weekend as well, looks like I'll just have to make do with icefishing for now....

·
Premium Member
15,012 Posts
just got back from the Mio, Fairview area. No snow to ride on. wiped out

·
Registered
462 Posts
What about on the logging roads? backroads?

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Just read a weather report for the Houghton Lake area. They're calling for some colder weather beginning tommorow night and the possibilty of 6 to 8 inches of snow during the day on Saturday. I know this sounds to good to be true. Cant always trust the weather man now can we? :lol:

Actually this sounds about right because my plans have changed, My daughter and I were supposed to head up to HL Friday morning and get the sleds going and the cottage stocked and warmed up for the weekend. My wife was going to come up after work Friday evening but since the trail/snow reports were so bad she decided to work Satuday and we'd save gas money and go up together Satuday afternoon and get there in time for a pizza, popcorn, a fire and some popcorn for New Years Eve. I'm bettin it'll be a slow, nasty drive now! :irked: :bonk:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard the same thing about the Hubbard lake area, I really want to ride this weekend but do not want to waste gas pulling them up either. I might have to gamble on the wetherman.........

·
Premium Member
15,012 Posts
Hate to be a party pooper. Just checked 2 weather services. Neither one is calling for anything near 6". Looks like the best you can hope for is a "dusting"
of snow on Fri. and Sat. With basicly zero snow and a dusting = not worth it.
Back roads and 2 tracks were thin at best with lots of mud.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not good......:nono:

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Bring back the snow
Trails are rough, forecast promising for snowmobilers

FREDERIC -- Michigan leads the nation in the number of snowmobiles and miles of snowmobile trails.
But on a day like this, not even the best groomers can do much with snow that has been turned to slush by three days of temperatures in the mid- to high 30s and constant drizzle.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060105/SPORTS10/601050527/1058

1 - 9 of 9 Posts