Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How close would you place your trail-cams next to your stand locations? 10,20,30, 40+ yrds? How do the deer take getting flashed at close range? Do bucks get weary of the flash? I'm just hesitant to put one close to my stand. Any thoughts? :help:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just picked up my digital stealth cam this morning from right under my bowstand.
It was placed at 2:00 p.m. Sunday Jan. 1st.
62 pics were taken by 3:00 a.m. this morning.
22 pics of one spike horn ( I think he actually started posing for the camera)
4 pics of a five pointer
2 pics of a three pointer
the rest of the pics were of various does and fawns.
The flash didn't seem to bother them at all.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you keep them in the same location during and after the season?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I will often put the camera out once a month all throuhgout the year just to see what kind of critters are out there.
I usually try to always put the camera on the same tree.
I have about 10 different trees that I monitor activity from.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
This season I had my Cuddeback out on three different properties from June until yesterday. The camera is always located within sight of my stand. During that time period, I got probably 1500-2000 pictures. From June until pre-rut, the camera was located right within my food plots. Once the rut started, I relocated the camera to hot scrapes, and got many pictures of bucks pawing and working the licking branch.

I've been in the stand on multiple occasions when the camera went off. I've never seen any deer, regardless of sex, respond negatively to the flash. When I used a film camera under the same circumstances, the sound of the film advancing did seem to spook deer, but only momentarily.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Deer should not be affected by the falsh. But if you are using a 35mm camera that makes noise when the film advances, this will spook them. My friend uses a digital and can set the camera for back to back shots with good success of shooting the same deer twice. I use an older style 35mm and have never captured a picture of the same deer twice. The 1st pic is always good but the second is empty. I never use this camera within range of where I hunt.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I haven't seen any evidence of the flash spooking the deer. I have many photos of the same deer 30 seconds apart, still standing in front of the camera. Not sure how mature deer handle it though. I only have two pics of a mature buck and they were taken at different locations.

I have begun wearing latex gloves when I mount the camera however. I've noticed that after I place the cam, it takes several days until I get a pic. Scent?

This season I plan on positioning a cam near my stand so I can hopefully get a pic of a deer and myself at the same time. Saw a pic like that somewhere (here?) and it was pretty neat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts