Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just started with trail cams and was wondering how long you guys leave them before you check them? I am going crazy wondering what is on them because I see tons of different size tracks.

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Welcome to the obsession. Hahaha!!

As a rule of thumb I try to wait at least two weeks between checks. I also do my best to keep our cams in locations along the edges and outskirts so checks are quick and as un-intrusive as possible. I will say that this time of year you can do a lot without bothering the deer too much but everything has it's limits and the last thing I want to be doing is stomping through the heart of our property every few weeks to check cameras, even in July. We live a few hours from our place, I try to get up every other weekend to keep up with habitat chores and what not so it allows me to pull cards pretty regularly every two weeks.

Our cams stay out during the season but they primarily get checked only when we are going past them on the way to a stand. We put enough pressure on just trying to hunt, don't need to add to it by cruising around checking cameras all the time.

Have fun with the cam's, it is an awesome way to keep an eye on the deer.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
From March-July I Check them about every 4 to 5 weeks, July-September every 2 to 3 weeks. During archery season when I hunt a stand, I'll pull the card. Gives me something to do while I'm sitting in the tree waiting for something to come by.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Less is more! Going into your hunting area every few weeks is a mistake. Every time you enter your educating the deer. The pics aren't going to change. Once every two to three months in the off season is plenty and then when you pass them going to your stand to hunt. If you have any mature bucks around they don't tolerate much or they will move on. Discipline is key to successfully using cams. Most of the time cams are detrimental to hunting because too much human pressure same as over hunting. Just remember sometimes less is more.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info but I couldn't take it so I went and pulled cards 46 pics in 5 days.now I have to figure out how to post them.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
I don't have enough self control to stay away from my cams. Also I'm on my land 5 or 6 days a week. So I quit putting them in the woods . I keep them next to where I go with the truck and tractor. They expect to see me there. That way I don't stink up where they feel safe.

·
Banned
354 Posts
This hard to do but try placing a camera in an area that is hunt able but not a wise place to be visiting to check cameras and leave it for the entire season and check it after the season closes. Great Intel for the following year.
Even better if you don't even hunt that location for that season. It will show you how and when deer, particularly mature bucks are moving through and give you a much better idea of when the best time to hunt that area is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts