Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where this topic belongs but when should I re-hang my trail cam? I took it down for the winter because deer patterns will be different during the cold months. I was thinking May time frame.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I think it's fun to have them up all year just to see what is happening out there. But May is good. Fawns are starting to drop in May. Observing the deer through all four seasons gives you some interesting information too.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I like to have them out this time of the year to see what bucks survived.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
2nd that..just might have to move them if you have it on a fall food source..
Fall food source? But it's winter. ;)
Not sure where this topic belongs but when should I re-hang my trail cam? I took it down for the winter because deer patterns will be different during the cold months. I was thinking May time frame.
Well the travel patterns in May will be different from September, which will be different from early November, which will perhaps be different based on pressure from late November. I wouldn't worry about the travel patterns so much, but focus on what your real goal is using a trail camera. :)

For me, this past year I kept one out from only August until the end of September and only set to go off during daylight. I'd gotten too many pictures of spooked deer to want to keep them out longer. My goal was to see what was in the area.

It didn't work very well - I didn't get many pictures and it was really hard to sit after pressure kicked in from the neighboring properties later in the season and deer locked down while I kept waiting for "the big one" that I had no pictures of. This year I'll keep the same duration, but let it go off at night as well.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm also leary of flash shots since my camera is not IR...that said does it matter what the deer do at night? I always try to figure out their daytime activities anyways. If there is rubs and scrapes, then there are bucks...not too worried about a picture. Well at least a picture without the famous bloody tongue pose:D

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I'm also leary of flash shots since my camera is not IR...that said does it matter what the deer do at night?
For me, I just want to know what is in the area because I find it motivational. It's hard to sit and wonder if the buck I'm after even exists since I'm surrounded by high hunter densities that fire their five shots at anything with antlers each year. :eek:

As for those daytime patterns, I don't need to pattern them on my property since I manipulate the habitat in such a way that I know how they'll utilize it at varying times of the year. I'd highly suggest combing the forums and analyzing how discussion here fits your property, as patterning deer through habitat manipulation is better than running cameras IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
For me, I just want to know what is in the area because I find it motivational. It's hard to sit and wonder if the buck I'm after even exists since I'm surrounded by high hunter densities that fire their five shots at anything with antlers each year. :eek:

As for those daytime patterns, I don't need to pattern them on my property since I manipulate the habitat in such a way that I know how they'll utilize it at varying times of the year. I'd highly suggest combing the forums and analyzing how discussion here fits your property, as patterning deer through habitat manipulation is better than running cameras IMO.
I agree with this. Getting pics, whether day or night let me know who is in the area. It is true that some night time pics are bucks that are just passing thru, never to be seen again. On the other hand, I have shot several bucks that the only proof of them being around before the day they were shot was a night time pic.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
259 Posts
I leave mine up during the winter. I think there are two types of movement on my property. Some of it is to a seasonal food source and other movement follows predictable routes year around. For example, the deer in our area are just going crazy for acorns. Despite the fact we have rye and wheat fields that they can dig out from under snow, they seem to focused solely upon acorns. Go up the oaks and it looks like a barnyard under any oak tree. The movement patterns up into these oaks are more seasonal (early winter) so they are not predictors for early fall behavior. Yes they still like acorns in Oct but not nearly to the extend we see it in December-Jan.

On the other hand, there are other areas where you can monitor activity year around and it is not just seasonal. I tend to focus my cameras in winter more on these areas and ignore the "food of the month" travel patterns.

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts

I agree. If you know where the bedding areas, food sources, and travel routes are, pictures of them when you are not there are not that important.

I think one of the main reasons to use them is for census, which is almost impossible to do in MI without the ability to bait. Confidence that there are good bucks in your area can be a huge boost to keep you alert on stand. Second is so that you can identify your "hit list" as Grant Woods does http://www.growingdeer.tv/view/page/2/. Some of our members use this approach for pleasure and so that they know which bucks they are after and can quickly recognize them--usually they are given names:

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352939

But this shows the potential down-side to using cameras...(even though I would say on balance, this very successful hunter has benefited from using them overall).

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361801

...and is the reason I have about 7-8 cameras that spend most of their time laying in my scent-free room. I do use some for home protection and to survey possible trespass areas, but I try to keep them up where they will not be noticed by either the trespasser or the deer. Now next year, I intend to try radio-transmitting cameras like Buckeye, but I will do so incrementally and make sure they are not spooking the deer before I buy several of them. The advantage is I can check the pics from home and therefore can put them in much more sensitive areas than one would normally put them.

Like OSXer, I know there are good bucks using my property, and I know where they travel, so I am on pins and needles all day on stand and do not need pictures of a buck that was there previously to give me confidence that I will see one. They are moving on my property in predictable ways most of the time.

Regarding what they are doing in summer, I hope they are on someone else's property because I want my property to be used mainly by does in summer. As any good deer biologist will tell you, does occupy the best habitat when they are birthing and raising their fawns. They do not want bucks around. If you have bucks living on your property in summer, it should be something to give you concern if you have a small property. If you mainly have bucks established on your property in summer, they will probably be saying adios in the fall and going where the does are. Better to design the property to have a solid population of resident does with very small day time territories.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I keep my cameras out all year. Lets me know what deer have survived the massacre of the SLP. Plus, you don't have to worry too much about theft because most people aren't in the woods during the winter, except the dedicated hunters who use this time of year to do their scouting for the following year:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts