Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late Friday afternoon a man and his three young children were on the lake in a pontoon boat. High waves, whitecaps. One of the kids fell in the water. Father jumped in, saved him, then went back in himself. They still have not found him. Pontoon floated across Lake Mitchell with the three kids in and came to rest on dock next to mine. Helicopter, many Sheriff boats, others searched until dark, then called off the search. Will resume today at 9 a.m. Keep the family in your prayers.

·
Registered
20,902 Posts
A father and 3 year old daughter died in the same type of incident on Houghton Lake 2 wks ago. I hope summer isnt going to continue like that.:sad:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Life jackets?? For the children this is must do or don't think of taking them. This is terribly sad and I couldn't even imagine losing my child, or him without a dad.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is so sad, we drove by there when all the rescue was there wondering what was happening. Our thoughts go out to the kids and the family

Let's Get To Casting

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, the three children, including the boy who fell off the boat, had life jackets on. I'm told the father did not. The search has resumed, boat launch at the State Park is closed, about 20 vehicles from Sheriff's office, DNR, EMT, etc. there now.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Please WEAR your PFDs! If not, have them ready at hand to grab and put on in an emergency like this one. Another senseless loss to illustrate how quickly recreation can turn to tragedy for the Marine Safety class, like the one on HL...

Prayers for the family.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sending thoughts and prayers to this family. Too sad.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: Thank you all for your comments. No luck yet in finding missing man. Units from as far away as Ludington are here with boats and crews looking. Family is hanging out at the pavilion in the State Park next to the launch. Sad story.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yup sad stuff, prayers to the widow and the kids... I hate reading this kind of stuff... man and 3 year old too, jeez :( wind and waves, I wonder if he left her in the boat while he went to park the truck and trailer or if he told her to "just stay here and hold this rope, daddy be right back" sorry to say that, but it just seems senseless... I don't think I would take a 3 year old out by myself on a calm day...For the "newer" parents, THEY DON'T SIT STILL. Tell them all ya want but, THEY DON'T LISTEN.Remember that while your trying to captain the boat and all of a sudden (literally in the blink of an eye) they disappear. Why, because the water was pretty and they wanted to touch it, or cause they wanted to stand up on the seat and play around? Or cause they simply wanted to help? (my 7 year old always wants to help with the anchor, and I DON'T LET HIM) There is always another day to boat, so if you're ever in question about going out, you prolly should not. Sorry about the rant, I don't mean to offend, but this stuff is upsetting to me... a 3 year old gone and three small children traumatised for life now

·
Registered
352 Posts
I was up there pre-fishing a tournament. I heard that he was wearing jeans and steel toed boots. When he jumped in after the 2 year old, I guess he went down pretty quickly. The older son had to go in and finally rescue the 2 year old, but he could not find his dad. Sad to hear, prayers go to the family.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Prayers indeed sent.
So that this tragedy be not in vain. Please remember to wear shoes you could swim in if you fall in while boating.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts