Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Stopped at the St. John’s T.S.C. store the other day to picked up some chicken feed and the person at the cash register asked if I wanted to buy a dog bone to be donated to the humane society and I said no I don’t support anti hunting groups and left. Is this going on at other stores.

I email T.S.C. but have not heard back from them yet.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Yup. Have to find out. Most times the County Humane Soceity is no way related to the HSUS.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I live in St. Johns and was asked the same question. Her definition of the the Humane society was the local clinton county dog pound. I told the lady it makes a big difference what its called. I even explained the difference between the two and I don't think she really cared.

Again, my understanding is that it is for the local dog pound but if you find out different let me know.

Sean

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've been to the Owosso TSC recently, but wasn't asked anything of the like, however, I'll stop in and find out! Good heads up!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
It wouldnt the HSUS. It is my understanding that they dont even condone pet ownership so that wouldnt make sense. Id bet money that it was for the local humane society. HUGE DIFFFERENCE

·
Registered
280 Posts
It's unfortunate that the two organizations often get confused. It's my understanding that the Michigan HS and your local county shelters are not affiliated with HSUS. I wish they had a different names. In a state with such a hunting presence, you would think the MHS would get the word out that they are not HSUS. I think it would help with their donations.

HSUS may as well be called PETA#2. Meanwhile, MHS performs a much needed task of pet adoptions.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
That is why HSUS chose the name, to take advantage of all the good work that the local Humane Societys have done. It gave them instant credibility, they are despicable.

·
Registered
874 Posts
The one in clinton county is called the Clinton County Animal Shelter. I believe the Humane Society in Lansing is affiliated with HSUS but I could be wrong. I have attempted to adopt a dog out of the Lansing Humane Society and they would not let me adopt because I was a hunter.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The one in clinton county is called the Clinton County Animal Shelter. I believe the Humane Society in Lansing is affiliated with HSUS but I could be wrong. I have attempted to adopt a dog out of the Lansing Humane Society and they would not let me adopt because I was a hunter.
I'm thinking the same as you about the humane society in Lansing. I adopted a dog from there 3 years ago and one of the first questions they asked was "will you be using the dog for hunting?" I just said no, and made sure to use the wife's checks and not my Field and Stream ones!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I receive a phone call from the St. John's Tractor Supply Company Manager, he stated that the dog bones go to the local Clinton county animal shelter (dog pound). I explained to him that there is a big difference between the humane society and a dog pound and he should let his workers know the difference.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'm thinking the same as you about the humane society in Lansing. I adopted a dog from there 3 years ago and one of the first questions they asked was "will you be using the dog for hunting?" I just said no, and made sure to use the wife's checks and not my Field and Stream ones!
Its to bad. The dog I wanted to adopt was a beagle that I wanted to use for tracking wounded animals and he would have been a housedog as well. The dog from understand was euthized. I am sure that was much better than what I could have provided for the dog!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts