Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I have every kind of light known to man but still have not come with anything that is bright enough and lasts long enough on those long tracks.
I have tried, coon hunting lights lanterns etc... and I just keep coming back to the trusty hand held but have not found a good one yet. Anyone have a good hand held rechargable light that they are in love with? Just looking for some new options.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not just tracking my deer but would not shoot one in the sholder with a bow anyway(I have seen or rather not seen the results). Have a coleman lantern and its great for some types of tracking but I am really looking for a good handheld rechargeable light.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Maybe consider a good headlamp as well. I recently picked one up last year, for the brim of a hat, works great. Plus you can carry it in your hand as well.

·
Registered
19,323 Posts
SPH,
I don't think that I have already asked, how did your dog do last year tracking?

L & O

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He lost half his nose fighting with a big coon a couple years ago and just has not been the same since. He still does a decent job on fur but it has to be a really hot track. I also have a female feist/cur mix that I have tried out as well but she just does not have the same confindance that the Jagd has.

I will get another dog in a few more years and it will be for tracking only and will stay off fur the next time around. Fun dog to have around for all around hunting but I guess I learned some valuable lessons!!!!

Hows your little female doing?

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
I converted my Maglite to LED. It is brighter than incandescent and the batteries last forever. You can put dead batteries in it from an incandescent light and get hours of light with the LED. I also bought a Mini Mag with LED. Have not changed the batteries yet and going on two years.

·
Registered
19,323 Posts
Hows your little female doing?
She improved quite a bit last year. 8 recoveries, mostly easy ones where we didn't really need a dog. One excellent recovery where we would not have found the buck without her. One other where she found the deer quickly at night....hunter couldn't find the deer because of the lack of blood and unsure in what direction to look. The deer wasn't far away and would have been found the next morning.
Not surprised that your dog got into a fight with a coon. The breed seems fearless, which isn't a good thing when you are a small dog.

L & O

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Two Mantle Coleman lantern works for me. Have yet to find anything better (for me). Do not waste ur money on the "blood tracking" lights like the primos etc. I'm a detective and the light we have at work for crime scenes is $5000 for an entry level light plus it packs in its own suitcase and runs off a battery about the size of a motorcycle battery.

We tried a primos at work at a scene where u could not walk on this floor without stepping in blood and the blood did not glow.

Stick with a bright, white light and good tracking skills and u will be better off.

J-

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She improved quite a bit last year. 8 recoveries, mostly easy ones where we didn't really need a dog. One excellent recovery where we would not have found the buck without her. One other where she found the deer quickly at night....hunter couldn't find the deer because of the lack of blood and unsure in what direction to look. The deer wasn't far away and would have been found the next morning.
Not surprised that your dog got into a fight with a coon. The breed seems fearless, which isn't a good thing when you are a small dog.

L & O

How big is she now?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
get a petzl headlamp. The things are great, hands free, bright, long lasting battery, not that expensive. I use mine all the time for night fishing and getting back from the deer stand. So far so good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts