Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent uploaded photos in forever but I thought I try to post a couple of pics of my wife and the firstdeer she tracked with her border collie.

Second photo is my wife trying to get her dog to do "dead dog" next to the dead deer. Nikki couldnt quite pull this one off. Under normal nikki can do a great dead dog but she didnt completely trust this deer.

·
Registered
19,359 Posts
Second photo is my wife trying to get her dog to do "dead dog" next to the dead deer. Nikki couldnt quite pull this one off. Under normal nikki can do a great dead dog but she didnt completely trust this deer......
Great photo. I'll bet you have the best border collie deer recovery dog in Michigan !

·
Registered
239 Posts
Looks like the collie is looking for a little belly scratchin after the job is done.:lol:

Thanks, got a kick out of that.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Thats awesome guys, looks like ya got a great dog. Hope she got a few extra treats and lovin. Would like to train my mini Dachshund puppy that we got for a pet a couple months back. after seeing all the success people are having tracking wounded deer with dogs.

·
Registered
469 Posts
That's awesome guys, looks like ya got a great dog. Hope she got a few extra treats and lovin. Would like to train my mini Dachshund puppy that we got for a pet a couple months back. after seeing all the success people are having tracking wounded deer with dogs.
If you want to train your Mini you have to see how he/she processes scent. All dogs have good noses, some better then others. Next you need to find out how they processes deer scent. Do they like they way deer smell? I have a mini with a great nose but she (Summer) has no COMPUTER between her ears.(lol). Try laying a scent line with blood and a piece of deer hide and age it for 2 hours and see if He/she can follow it and give lots of praise when completed. If that goes well then increase the distance and reduce the amount of blood and you are off training your dog. I hope this helps good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
great job, not a traditional job for a border collie but they sure do have the brains for it.

love the pictures. You will have to get your wife to work on the dead dog thing when around dead deer. That would be a classic picture right there. In fact if you ever get a good one please send it to me as I would like to try and find a place for it on the UBT web site if I can.
Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts