Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18,783 Posts
I have had three different bucks that I've shot get up from the ground and charge me over the years as I 've approached them. Either give them time to expire first or be very careful as you approach them. All of my encounters turned out ok except once I got kicked pretty good giving me quite a slash.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
My buddy was charged by a buck he wounded,held his gun out with both hands because he was out of slugs.deer hit him with head down broke the forearm of the gun,pinned him to the ground and broke his collar bone.
his dad ran across field to scare deer off and finish him off.made the local paper.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Probably should have waited longer before tracking, however with a leg shot there is no guarantee that she would've died.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
I am amazed at all these stories I have been hearing lately. Even saw a video of a guy walking up to a deer that was clearly still alive. Always make sure the deer is dead as you approach. Check for breathing, and the eyes should be open and tongue hanging out. Was not everyone taught this when they started hunting?

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
My cousin had an 8pt jump up then charge him. He grabbed the antlers pushing downward but the buck still backed him into a tree. Fortunately his brother was close enough to hear his crys for help. His brother put the buck down.

On several occasions I've had them posture me while calling from the ground. Twice I couldn't get them to snap out of it. I had to kill the first one at 8 yards and closing . You know they're ready to charge at any second. Even stepping into the winter wheat field talking and waiving my arms wouldn't snap him out of it. The second one got a broadhead through the ear, I was aiming between the eyes but the adrenlin or a twig got the best of me. After jumping the second one I wanted a better look at him so I dropped down and began thrashing a sappling with a few grunts thrown in. He half circled me, then came in from down wind posturing to 15 yards. Neither buck was anything I wanted to kill but in that situation its myass or theirs and it ain't gonna be mine. Crazy stuff when it happens.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
The deer are revolting against their human oppressors! The way the Huff Po writes about this stuff is ridiculous. The deer are even busting into homes revolting! Obviously anti-hunting.

From the last paragraph:

This is only the latest incident of deer revolting against their human oppressors. In the past two months, deer have busted into homes in New York and New Jersey, in one case wreaking havoc in a bathroom. And in 2013, a buck jumped through the window of a minivan and out the other, shattering glass over a terrified family.

·
Registered
18,783 Posts
I am amazed at all these stories I have been hearing lately. Even saw a video of a guy walking up to a deer that was clearly still alive. Always make sure the deer is dead as you approach. Check for breathing, and the eyes should be open and tongue hanging out. Was not everyone taught this when they started hunting?
When your tracking at night with a flash light you don't get the best view of the animal as you approach it. It can look completely dead and come alive as you check it. Glad you have never had a bad encounter.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
That is why you either pass or take a high quality shot on the deer. If you don't track them shortly after the shot the wolves or coyotes will do it for you. I have never had a deer get up after being shot, which is why I pass on a deer if I can't get a good shot off.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
When your tracking at night with a flash light you don't get the best view of the animal as you approach it. It can look completely dead and come alive as you check it. Glad you have never had a bad encounter.
I have recovered many deer in the dark. I circle it and study it to be sure it is dead before getting too close. I did come across a live one on night in a thicket. I quietly backed out and come back 30 minute later to find him expired. Not saying bad encounters can be completely eliminated. But use extra caution when approaching a "dead" deer. Check for the three signs.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
The deer didnt attack the hunter. . . . I read the article on a different site, and it had different details. Same guy, same deer. He said it was in thick brush, and the deer jumped up, ran towards him, and the deer's head hit him in the leg. . .

No attack, likely a disoriented deer, and the guy happened to be in its way.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The deer are revolting against their human oppressors! The way the Huff Po writes about this stuff is ridiculous. The deer are even busting into homes revolting! Obviously anti-hunting.

From the last paragraph:

This is only the latest incident of deer revolting against their human oppressors. In the past two months, deer have busted into homes in New York and New Jersey, in one case wreaking havoc in a bathroom. And in 2013, a buck jumped through the window of a minivan and out the other, shattering glass over a terrified family.
x2 I had the same take on this story. LMAO :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There we have it....another story that got twisted around by the media. Sometimes it's hard to believe anything from the media press.

·
Registered
14,611 Posts

From the last paragraph:

I noticed the same remarks in the article. I just wrote it off as the authors attempt at humor. If the title of the article was geared towards anti-hunting, the last incident in your quote of the article should be an indicator for them the need for hunting.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I heard a true story about a guy who shot a big buck with his rifle. He walked up to it and put his gun on the deers rack to take a picture. The deer got up with the gun on his rack and took off running. The guy never saw the gun or deer again.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If the puffington host is telling half truths, I'm cancellen my scription.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts