Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be curious what you guys think. I cut these tracks last day of firearm season on new snow and followed them awhile (until they doubled back on me). I did not get better prints from the pads than these photos. The rear feet stepped in the prints from the front feet, it had wide spacing between steps (longer than my glove), no toe nails, and the full prints were wider than the pads. My boot is 12 1/2" x 5". I estimate the width to be over 2 1/2". Canine or feline? Looks cat to me.
JdJOFOXzQMe4PxJfuj61dA.jpg
i5cOqqLZQW2PPVp1%oLfOw.jpg
VaqM40uxSAa%9cr12TXihQ.jpg
F1nrAjqmRcC1zKN62KhfeA.jpg

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Maybe this is the 1st couger track I've seen! It's certainly too big for our bobcats.

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Feline for sure. Dog is usually longer than they are wide. Plus, cats tracks follow more of a straight line like your photo. I'm not sure of the area and wouldn't rule out a well fed bobcat but, I'm with Seldom. They look big cat to me. Plus, it doubled back on you!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was Marquette State forest Benzie Co. I agree with you guys, cat.

Big Big bobcat, maybe a really BIG1.

This from Wiki "Bobcat tracks show four toes without claw marks, due to their retractable claws. The tracks can range in size from 1 to 3 in (2.5 to 7.6 cm); the average is about 1.8 inches.[50] When walking or trotting, the tracks are spaced roughly 8 to 18 in (20 to 46 cm) apart."

Over 2 1/2" would be on the big end for sure

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
The toe pads in the first photo look to be too small to be a cougar. I studied cougar tracks extensively when I took photos of ones track a few years ago.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Very large bobcat or very small cougar.. Neighbor caught a 53lb bob and its tracks were similar in size...

That would be a small cougar to make those tracks though, I had an opportunity to see multiple cougar track out in WY when I hunted this fall and they were all larger than those.. So...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts