Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
So..what is proper here ???

I remember a neighbor who no longer lives next door ... would break into to my truck. I had plans on setting a leg hold under the seat and chain it down. I told the officer taking the last report...he said " NO NO NO you cannot do that " Then later I was asking a cop..he said " you have every right to protect your property ". I was not setting a kill trap only a grab your fingers..not break them..and hold you there. Oh..I was going to wire a switch to the horn to wake me and my other neighbors.

He moved shortly after that Non payment of rent. no surprise.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
I think premeditated would get you in trouble. You also can’t do anything over property disputes, as far as deadly force goes. If you instigate and it escalates and then you use deadly force, you’re still probably not in a great situation, unless you have a rock solid testimony.

There are a lot of stars that have to sign before you can legally shoot someone. I hope to never need to find out. But it’s good to run scenarios through your head before temporary anger gets you into permanent trouble and agony.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
There is also a company, can’t remember off hand, but they offer insurance for CPL holders.

Worth their weight in gold if you ever find yourself in that situation. You handle the situation, call 911 and then call them. They’ll walk you through everything and their lawyers handle it.

·
Premium Member
9,466 Posts
So..what is proper here ???

I remember a neighbor who no longer lives next door ... would break into to my truck. I had plans on setting a leg hold under the seat and chain it down. I told the officer taking the last report...he said " NO NO NO you cannot do that " Then later I was asking a cop..he said " you have every right to protect your property ". I was not setting a kill trap only a grab your fingers..not break them..and hold you there. Oh..I was going to wire a switch to the horn to wake me and my other neighbors.

He moved shortly after that Non payment of rent. no surprise.
Problems like your neighbor tend to resolve themselves in time.

·
Premium Member
30,265 Posts
I don't know... Sounds like the modern day LEO with the spray and pray mentality.

Imagine having this kids deer hunting on the property next to yours.
There could have been an old lady walking her pitbull on the other side of the fence that he didn't see because he was intent on "taking down a bad guy". 11 year old kids don't have the mental capacity to think things through. They tend to act on emotions like many adults do, especially those southern boys.

·
Premium Member
30,265 Posts
It used to be. Now it seems more of a case of guilty before being found innocent as Petronius seems to be suggesting and the "investigation" of a certain person recently has shown.
The guy did the crime, I don't think anyone would argue that he didn't. But he had already left the house and had almost left the property, there was no longer any danger. The kid said they knew who he is. At that point in time, you let law enforcement take over.

·
Registered
539 Posts
In 2006, the Hunstville Times reports, Alabama enacted Stand Your Ground, a law that permits the use the use of deadly force against an aggressor if that person is:

- About to use unlawful deadly physical force.

- A burglar about to use physical force.

- Engaged in kidnapping, assault, robbery or rape.

- Unlawfully and forcefully entering a home or car, or attempting to remove a person against their will. (There are exceptions for people who used to live there and are under no injunctions or domestic protection orders.)

Kid was never charged, rightfully. Threads over now, everyone can go home.

"When he was coming down the stairs, that's when he told me he was going to kill me, [expletive] you and all that," Chris said.

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
The guy did the crime, I don't think anyone would argue that he didn't. But he had already left the house and had almost left the property, there was no longer any danger. The kid said they knew who he is. At that point in time, you let law enforcement take over.
Since the criminal encountered the child several times inside the house and demonstrated no fear of him, saying there was no longer danger in the child's eyes is a huge stretch. The criminal was carrying away stolen property, but was not described as fleeing. If the child had not fired, there was a good chance the criminal would have come back inside the house for additional rounds of robbery. The criminal also made a death threat to the child, so he could have come back to make good on that declaration too.

·
Registered
18,243 Posts
There is also a company, can’t remember off hand, but they offer insurance for CPL holders.

Worth their weight in gold if you ever find yourself in that situation. You handle the situation, call 911 and then call them. They’ll walk you through everything and their lawyers handle it.
uscca insurance - Bing

·
Registered
18,243 Posts
Apparently there is danger in stealing from folks.
Let alone threatening their well being when you have the means and ability to carry out the threat.
The thief knew where the kid lived.
Law enforcement knows now too.
If you've had anyone threaten your life in your home and leave , you might wonder if you're ever safe again. Even if the cops show up after the person that threatened you is gone.

My vote is stay out of other folks homes uninvited and don't steal thier stuff.
And most especially , don't threaten thier lives in the process.
Not everyone you choose to victimize is going to be a pacifist.. Nor should they be.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
Buddy in college was from Birmingham. Showed me a newspaper article of a guy whose wife was cheating and was not even trying to make a secret of it. Guy told everyone he was going to kill him.

Caught them in the act.

Shot the guy.

Acquitted.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Pretty silly statement. Some of the nicest, most genuine people you'll ever meet. We have more then our share of life challenged people right here in the mitten.
We should keep a graveyard area for banned members just to show how well adjusted we all are.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Did you miss this ?"When the man reappeared moments later, the boy told WVTM-TV, the individual was holding a gun." Did the guy get rid of the gun? We all know that the WASHINGTON POST would never leave that little detail out of their article!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts