Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around here it goes something like this: gobble on the roost early, henned up, quiet, call shy and vanish! The birds right now are really tough to hunt in the morning. Never had time to get at them in the afternoon this weekend.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Been doing some guiding, and scouting for friends the past week or so and around here (Lenawee) they are gobbling like crazy and looking for love around noon. Very vocal.

Our mornings are very similar to what you're going through now.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
The last few days last week they shut up in the morning and about 9 or so they would start breakin off and finding new hens and gobblin a little more. but it was not like the first few days of the late season, they were gobblin like crazy

·
Registered
39 Posts
We were up in Roscommon since Wednesday night and the birds were quiet after about 8AM, didn't hear anything the rest of the day. Being a beginner, we thought we had to be doing something wrong. Finally got a better location on the gobbler that we were hearing, problem is he is on private property and we couldn't convince him to come to our side of the road. I haven't given up yet, will be back up next weekend to try again.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I was out in the woods this morning looking for some stuff my boy lost while we were hunting a few weeks ago. The birds were gobbling at every thing. 3 toms and 4 jakes. no hens they must be on there nest. have not seen any hens in about 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
26,587 Posts
Got tough birds down here right now in the SLP. All birds are with hens or very call shy. Never seen as many people around here hunting them.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Bucknasty and I had a helluva time this weekend chasin' them all over God's country. Seemed VERY call-shy and wily as ever. I quit!:lol:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Gobbled a few times on the roost Saturday morning, then quiet the rest of the morning.

Went out this morning and had 4 long beards strutting within 150 yds from me, but they were with 2 hens and nothing I could do would get them to leave those hens.

Should get better in the next week or so!

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts