Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if there is good Lake Trout fishing on Torch Lake? I heard that the lake is or was stocked, but I have never tried it before. I have a 22 salmon boat and was wondering if I could just use the same set up as I do on Lake MI. Riggers, Lead, Dipsy's ect. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Torch Lake has very good lake trout fishing, also whitefish and atlantic salmon, but you've got to know how to fish that lake, it's a tough one. Very few people who have never fished it before even get a hit until they've been out there more times than they can remember.

It hasn't been stocked in years for lake trout. Never stocked for whitefish, and atlantic salmon stocking was halted last year...it's much easier to catch lake trout out of Grand Traverse Bay, and access to that is right there.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone know if there is a guide service on torch?

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
There used to be one charter service, but there's not much interest in that sort of thing on Torch, so...he went to Frankfort. Lives there now.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My girlfriends Dad has a place on Torch and he has hinted many times that he would like to go fishing for the lakers on Torch. He is not a fisherman and has never fished for them. If I drag my boat 3 hours up there, I want to do my best to boat some fish for him. He was talking about sometime in June. Any advice?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Get a map of the lake. find points with steep drops to 80' - 120' deep. Jig with a swedish pimple or white tube jig. If you are going to troll with downriggers then fish the 65'-110' range with medium to small size spoons in various colors. Do not exceed 2.2 mph. Troll along the edges of drop offs. Being tight to structure is the key.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information. Is there a temperature break at all that I should look for? That seems to be key in Lake MI.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Of course the thermocline in a good place to start but as long as you have your high lines at 65' and go down from there you sohould have it covered. Structure is most important, study some maps and look for key depth changes and possible feeding shelfs.

I would concentrate more on jigging, that is just my preference. Find POINTS with a steep dropoff and a 30-40 foot feeding shelf nearby. YOU MUST STAY VERTICLE. If your line is not straight up and down you will not get the correct action, feel, or hookset.

·
Registered
20,914 Posts
the last few years on higgins there has been a trend towards jigging with a smelt on a leadhead jig in deep water. Like the do at stannard rock in superior. seems to work well.

It may be worth a try on torch also.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've done O.K. on eater size lakers trolling between 60 - 110 ft down using spoons. It's pretty much like fishing the big lake for salmon. Torch is an extremely deep lake and like Linda said, can be very hard to fish. The one time that my buddy and I did real well, we were lucky enough to mark a big school of bait and continued to troll through that area. Here's some links to a couple of maps.

http://www.fishweb.com/maps/antrim/torchlake/

http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/SPATIALDATALIBRARY/PDF_MAPS/INLAND_LAKE_MAPS/ANTRIM/TORCH_LAKE.PDF

·
Registered
215 Posts
What size Swedish Pimple's and/or jigs would you need to use to effectively fish that deep?

·
-RIP-
3,670 Posts
As Linda G mentioned, the lake is tough if not familiar with it. 18 plus miles long and over 300+ FEET DEEP.Heres a good starting point out there my friend, get in 250 fow and send your riggers down 144 &140 feet. You can use spoons ,jointed rapalas are my personal best out on torch.I try and match my presentation to the lake herring that inhabit her...Try this on your 2 downriggers,20 foot lead place line in release using a #11 or #13 jointed rapala chartreuse/silver. Let that go down to depth I always run an adda-line, slider...4-5 foot of mono with a snap swivle on each end,put a light spoon on one snap and snap the other end to your line.Let it free slide down towards your jointed as it will stop were the bow in the line remains , usually halfway down. 72 feet. Dipsydiver off each side 175 line out set at #2 with #9 jointed rapalas, you guessed it chart/silv...Thats been a very good settup for me over the years taught to me by the last guide on torch Chris Mills,good friend of mine from Bellaire now in Frankfort.PS,dont put your program down whatever you choose until you spot clouds of bait fish on your gragh.Put the finder in manual mode and your on your way to fresh lake trout atlantics and an occasional brown trout...Good luck:fish:

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
On Standard rock 2 oz jigs are necessary because in a boat while drifting, a 1 oz jig won't stay vertical. On ice, a 3/4 - 1 oz jig is plenty for lakers, especially when tipped with large smelt, blues or Grey's or even soft body rubber. Your bouncing that jig on the bottom to activate a reaction bite. Lakers can't help it and hit the jig. Higgins is a great place to catch Lakers this way. Finding the fish is the hardest part. Once you find where they are, you'll get bit. Sorry I know the thread is Torch lake Lakers but unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to fish Torch this year on ice. Probably won't freeze.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I’ve been getting them on 1-1/2 or 1 oz elk rapids jigs and also 1 oz tube jig. Good size and burbot mixed in. Haven’t been out in about a week but it consistently produces fish year round.

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
I use to ice fish for lakers on the SW side where it dropped to 100 FOW close to shore. Would do very well with # 7 white Swedish pimples.

Reactions: johnIV
1 - 20 of 25 Posts