Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the lake being weedchoked as it is I started throwing some weedless topwater baits and have been having success doing so. I have been using a softbody stanley ribbit 3.5" and a hollowbody frog. Both have caught LM bass. I also have poppers, zara spooks, and a jitterbug for topwater. I was wondering what are some other good topwater baits to use. Do the hollowbody poppers work well? Also what are some good colors to have.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I like Uncle Josh Sizmic Toads in the floating version. They used to make a popper, but I just checked the webpage and did not see one. IMO, the hollowbody popper isn't durable enough, but I only tried one variety (Snagproof). I also like another oldie but goodie, Mann's Rat. In terms of color, I have done well on white, black, frog pattern (green on top, yellow on bottom) and grey.
If you can fish them without getting hung up, I LOVE prop baits (such as Smithwick's Devil's Horse) and I don't think color matters very much.

·
Registered
123 Posts
70degree water+ spooks for open areas spro frogs black for pads Popper's for pin point presentations 60-70 degrees rapala originals silver black back vary retrieve

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I mostly throw firetiger or black over orange at dusk, but during the day I use bass and other natural patterns. Skitter pops, chug bugs, Zara pups, buzz baits... I'm not much of a frog fan.

·
Banned
2,218 Posts
With the lake being weedchoked as it is I started throwing some weedless topwater baits and have been having success doing so. I have been using a softbody stanley ribbit 3.5" and a hollowbody frog. Both have caught LM bass. I also have poppers, zara spooks, and a jitterbug for topwater. I was wondering what are some other good topwater baits to use. Do the hollowbody poppers work well? Also what are some good colors to have.
Must be nice, around here the WEED KILLERS have been spraying for months, any weeds you do see are DEAD!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Must be nice, around here the WEED KILLERS have been spraying for months, any weeds you do see are DEAD!
If your cabbage(s) are dead report it to the Department of Agriculture, no permits are issued for cabbage(s) and any die off's are typically related to improper applications, let them know and see if they can stop the problem in the future... remember...there are no "weeds" in the water.... only Aquatic Plants!...

·
Banned
2,218 Posts
If your cabbage(s) are dead report it to the Department of Agriculture, no permits are issued for cabbage(s) and any die off's are typically related to improper applications, let them know and see if they can stop the problem in the future... remember...there are no "weeds" in the water.... only Aquatic Plants!...
Dude you cant tell me that the herbicides they use do not have a broader effect then they say, when they spray and turn the lakes into mudholes!
Not only that but they spray all season long, cabbage Where? Coons tail where? maybe some eurasian milfoil ya that the plant (weed) that will survive prolly!

BD

·
Registered
526 Posts
Rapala popper blue and orange or firetiger and any color buzz bait that makes a lot of noise and a good V, preferably white, don't use a buzz bait with little action or noise

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am starting to get more into top water myself after seeing Little Roober's success on Kent Lake with them. I already had some poppers and frog, but that was about it. I just picked up one of those smithwick props, an old school wooden popper, and a medium sized stickbait type thing by Heddon. Didn't get to fish this weekend though so I have no idea if I made good choices :)

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
hula popers in frog, coach dog/ orange,black

jitter bugs in white frog, yellow frog, perch, black

zara spook in black back silver sides

smith wick devil horse in silver and black , perch ,bull frog

rebel pop -r 's any color you like

btw gander and walmarts has the hula popers ,jitter bugs and some rapla looking pop-r 's. i think there $12 bucks for the jitter bug and hula popper kits and the rapalas are like 4.95 ech in the treasure chest box they been advetising.

i also got a old hedon that looks like the smith wick devil horse in red and white but not sure if you will ever find it. any ways best of luck.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Nothing swims like a lucky craft sammy. ;). Other favs. are the stanley ribbit, I toss it in some thick stuff near the shorelines I dont bother fishing it in open water much but it does work out there. Also spro bronze eye frogs, have not used the popper version yet. For open water I like buzz baits, booyah pip squeak is by far the best ive ever used.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Yellow Magic in Jpenese shad is being ate a LOT again this year after a few years where it seemed thay would not touch it... and my home made frogs are always great in the gunge... can't wait til mid - late August for the real gunge bite!.....

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,425 Posts
Heddon Krazy Krawler ALWAYS out produced the Jitterb00GeY 9 out of 10 times. when I was listening fer the terlet to flush.
:lol:
Smithwick, King Chop of Das Vood Prop!

$4.99 worth of top chop wH00pass!

:evilsmile
I don't think Smithy puts out even ONE bad bait period!

The South Bend Spin-i-didee - the smaller more deadly version of the above listed Nip-i-didee
They sure BLAST'm ......

Heddon Tiny Torpedos....

My all time golden favorite - Blue head / Clear Bomber Rip Shad.
Only one prop, but it sure would turn some heads & make'M STOP.

:lol:

God those were the days!

RAS

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
97* today... hope it comes with a good wind... add a "spit n image" and get ready to announce yer scores!..... 9.5...9.7...9.9...(jump n fish)

·
Registered
1 Posts
scored last night with a 3" black jitterbug at Cass Lake, Dodge Park #4. Right at dusk, not off the fishing pier, but just 30yds east of it across the walkway on that next point, casting 40 yds out to very edge of the drop off. Let it set 10 seconds after slash down, then slow steady retrieve, just fast enough to get it swimmin. About 10 casts in, a nice 16" Largemouth hit it about 10 yard into the retrive and jumped 3 times on the way in.

anything on top poppin or splashin over fish at dusk or dawn...pretty good bet for fun.

·
Registered
422 Posts
triple blade buzz bait, white or yellow skirt. Triple blade allows you to retrieve it slower while still keeping your bait at the surface.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Had my first bout of luck with top water in Dexter 2 Sundays ago. First fish took a green with black spots Heddon propbait. Soon as the fight started she sprung 3 feet out of the water trying to toss it. That pretty much hooked me on topwater. Second fish was pulled in on the smaller size jitterbug in a greenish color. Neither were very big but they were fun! My buddy got a nice 3 1/2-4 lber on a gold booyah buzzbait.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Smithwick Devil Horse (see SFW's post) and the PopR have caught most of my top water bass. Some of my biggest top water fish have come "walkin the dog" with the original size Spook. It takes some practice, but it'll call them up from some pretty deep water and you can cast it a mile. You don't get the numbers, but the fish are usually bigger.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts