Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year spearing and Ive read around online quite a bit. I plan on hitting a body of mid michigan water that I know is infested with pike and also lsc for perch.

As I am completely new, just sending a requests for a few tips that "I wish I knew" from when you started spearing.

Also I am a big wood carver so anyone who carves and paints also wondering if they have a specific wood preference or use special paint or finish that waterproofs. Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
my suggestion is to go threw the many previous threads for your answers its there somewhere and if you dont find it then ask again.. as for the decoy questions go to the mdha site and mike has all the answers for decoy making.. to get you started.

·
Darkhouse Ninja
5,599 Posts
This is my first year spearing and Ive read around online quite a bit. I plan on hitting a body of mid michigan water that I know is infested with pike and also lsc for perch.

As I am completely new, just sending a requests for a few tips that "I wish I knew" from when you started spearing.

Also I am a big wood carver so anyone who carves and paints also wondering if they have a specific wood preference or use special paint or finish that waterproofs. Thanks all!
Use white cedar, and seal the wood good before you paint and after.
Check water clarity before you cut a large hole!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
cedar is used a lot., red/ white is a good color combo (this will vary) I like 6-10 ft. pf water. take snacks , heat source radio, , what are you using to cut your holes? if there are other species fish I generally take a rod with me with a jig and waxie and just keep it reeled up in the ice area, for when the huge gill or speck comes in.. I used to use my spear shack and tip ups, but got a lot of crap from guys because while you are chasing flags, you may miss out on the pike. but sometimes , if I am on new water, I will set them out for scouting purposes. water clarity is a big factor to me. if it is a little stained. or deep, i take a coffee can of shelled corn to light up the bottom to help silouette anything swimming over

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
If your serious about getting involved this year, then signup for the team on line spearing tourney. You can fin the rules and sign up at the top of the Dak House Boards.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
With spearing being a primitive way of fishing, there really aren't any "AH HA!" moments.
Sure, there are some modern convinces involved with finding a location and hole making, but at it's heart not much has changed since the inception. Open a hole, wait for your desired target, and then harvest.
As the season progresses, we will continue to re-entertain the same questions that come up year over year. Location and habitat tips, decoy setup, and which way to tie your spear, as well as darkhouse styles and methods of opening up a adequate hole.

·
Registered
866 Posts
There are a lot of good helpful people in here. Once season gets going and we have safe ice I would ask to tag along. No better way to learn than from someone who is successful. If two parties can agree on a public spot that’s not a secret I’m sure someone will be more than willing to give you a quick lesson. Let us know where you are from and see what happens. If you are near my area, Iosco County, I’d be happy to help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
With spearing being a primitive way of fishing, there really aren't any "AH HA!" moments.
Sure, there are some modern convinces involved with finding a location and hole making, but at it's heart not much has changed since the inception. Open a hole, wait for your desired target, and then harvest.
As the season progresses, we will continue to re-entertain the same questions that come up year over year. Location and habitat tips, decoy setup, and which way to tie your spear, as well as darkhouse styles and methods of opening up a adequate hole.
Have a few spots I catch constant decent sized pike in spring and summer. A big weed edge near a river mouth and drop off. Roscommon county.

and a jumbo perch spot I fish in lsc.

Is there a specific depth we are looking for? less than 3 feet?

red and white for pike, any fav colors for perch? use smaller decoys for perch? or just jig minnows like fishing and tag the big ones that dont bite?

I live in Kent county. Will heavily travel for it as the same I do ice fishing. Love to team up with anyone at lsc, roscommon county, west side of state. Will bring warm food beer and all my gear. Sled, darkhouse, ice saw, cameras, etc.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
You can spear 18 inches to 20 plus fow.

Bouvier and Muscamoot when low was hot in 18-36 inches of water.

Might wanna hit Ovid in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Have a few spots I catch constant decent sized pike in spring and summer. A big weed edge near a river mouth and drop off. Roscommon county.

and a jumbo perch spot I fish in lsc.

Is there a specific depth we are looking for? less than 3 feet?

red and white for pike, any fav colors for perch? use smaller decoys for perch? or just jig minnows like fishing and tag the big ones that dont bite?

I live in Kent county. Will heavily travel for it as the same I do ice fishing. Love to team up with anyone at lsc, roscommon county, west side of state. Will bring warm food beer and all my gear. Sled, darkhouse, ice saw, cameras, etc.
If you have the spear for it look for deer water off the breaks then as the season goes start heading more towards shallower water. I use bigger decoys but they'll come into about anything. River mouths can be tricky for clarity but can be very good.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Depth for perch,or pike?
At the few LSC perch events I have attended, holes were set anywhere from 2FOW-7FOW.

However, if we are talking depth for Pike, than your type of spear becomes part of the equation. Shooting 20FOW to the bottom takes a seriously engineered weapon, however hanging the decoys higher up can give you a better shot opportunity. Shooting 8FOW and less, is often good pike hunting grounds, and most spears are accurate in that same range.

·
Darkhouse Ninja
5,599 Posts
1. Dont forget the beer. All you really need to know.
2. You can never have enough decoys.
3. Dont waste money on a lazer cut spear.
4. Keep speared fish in a bag, bucket or something else so tip up guys don't surround your darkhouse.
5. Bring beer.
#4 is actually a great tip, I put pike in my sled or hide them some, and I cover up blood or wash it off the ice so not to tip off crowds, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Thinking back, I can only recount on 1 style/piece of gear which had been a complete failure.

Live decoy harnesses. Setting the correct tension on these to fully entrap the decoy, without it slipping out is a FULL PITA. Avoid this style, and use one that pierces the flesh.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts