Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started Ice Fishing the middle of Jan. at Lake Mitchell. Since then I have bought poles, tip ups, ice shanty, auger, ect. The problem is I can not buy a fish. I have been to Muskegan (2 pike 1 perch 11am- 9pm) Gull (0 fish 3:30 to 9:30pm), Mitchell (1 perch 3:00 to 8:00pm) Hess Lake ( 1 bluegills 7:30 am to 2:00pm.),My 1 acre pond (2 pike 6 bluegill and 1 bass 4 hours) I am making a venture to Hamlin Lake a Fri 2/13. Any advice? Other lakes within 1 1/2 of GR that my be better? Is higgins/houghton worth the drive? I just purchased a fish finder hopefully it with help.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hopefully you have a vex. I dont go on a lake without a Hydro map and I spend a lot of time the night before planing where Im going to start to fish. And if the fish are not bitieng where you are then move . Its not uncomon for me to drill a lot of holes in a day. I beleive that there are fish in the lake that will bite ,you just have to find them. I also carry a pair of binoculars to check out other fisherman without geting close to them, and 2 pairs of radios to keep in cotact with others in my group. Don't stay in a area if the fish are not cooperating, you can always come back to that area later. I could go on and on, good skill to ya!

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
Jvanrhee, I am wondering if you live in grandrapids. There are alot of good lakes around greenville area and rockford. You might want to buy a book called icefishing secrets by infisherman, full of good info. Talks about all species, jiggin tecniques,location,equiptment,baits everything you need to know and goes into grat detail.:)

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Welcome to the site,

Heres my advice............... buy more stuff. (power auger, heater, Quad to get everything on/off the ice,every lure known to man, etc,etc)

Then you can explain to your wife why you spend thousands of dollars to catch a bucket full of little fish, just like the rest of us :D

·
Registered
257 Posts
Higgins and Houghton I think are both worth the drive. I've drove up on a Saturday and got up and drove back on Sunday several times. There was a lot of slush up there in that area last weekend making ice travel no fun. On the west side of Higgins theres a DNR launch. The shanty town out about 200 yards is good for smelt after dark. The trout are at times hard to catch and I think the perch are to small to mess with. Houghton you can fish any place you see shanties and do ok. Take some tip-ups with ya and the pike will keep you entertained if nothing else is biting. Houghton is the only lake that I can get into the big gills.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
my suggestion is to buy a book

"Ice Fishing Secrets" from the In-Fisherman library

sounds to me like you dont need any more equipment..just knowledege

well, on 2nd thought, i take that back....we can always use MORE EQUIPMENT!!!

seriously though, buy that book...it will help immensely!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts