Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Top Gun in Taylor is a top notch shooting fac. Real friendly people.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Corner of Raco and Penn. Brand new building.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
Does it have a shooting range? From the first post, it seems the answer is yes. Wouldn't mind checking it out some time.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I stopped in at Top Gun a couple weeks ago to check the place out. It's a very nice facility with service that is on par with that of The Firing Line in Westland. They have 20(IIRC) 25 yard lanes split into two 10 lane ranges. The difference between the two when it comes to the range is the back stops. One of the employees at TGSS told me that the backstops can handle anything you can throw at it to just over 3000FPS. That includes centerfire rifle, Shotgun slugs and shot up to 00 Buck so they welcome most firearms.
They also have rentals so you can try before you buy.
Range time is $12.50/Hr/lane and I believe it was $8per half hour.
I haven't had a chance to shoot there yet but will soon. Maybe later this week if anyone wants to meet for an hour of recoil therapy.;)
Their Website is http://www.topgunshootingsports.com/ I looked their site over a few days ago and it had much more than it does now. It was last updated on the 10th so they might be in the process of updating still.
I went on a saturday morning and there were quite a few younger people in their early 20's browsing the wares but there were only 1/2 dozen people actually shooting. No wait for a lane. Overall, I was quite impressed.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
Rupe,

Thanks for the website link. I may be there Thursday evening around 7-7:15 or so. I usually shoot at the Firing Line once a week, putting 100 rds through my H&K. Would be good to meet up with some members. Probably will be there for half hour or so. The rates you quoted for range time are a little cheaper than Firing Line so Top Gun may get my business if it's a nice facility.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Shot there over a dozen times and am very happy with the facility and the people, very friendly. It can get busy but still haven't had to wait for a lane yet. And yes they said you can shoot all that you mentioned above. It's a lot nicer driving 2 miles than the drive out to Westland that I used to take!:D

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
Went to Top Gun tonight, very nice facility in a brand new building. The range is very well lit, better in fact than Firing Line. It is also nicely heated, different from other indoor ranges I have visited. The range stalls themselves are identical to Firing Line. The gun shop in front looks decent, however I didn't spend much time looking. They let you shoot your own ammo (non steel or amor piercing), plus as was mentioned you can shoot centerfire rifles. I fired 20 rds through my grandfather's 1920s era Winchester Model 1894 in .32 Win Spl. Cool gun. Also found out my H&K doesn't like Wolf ammo, jammed a spent cartridge in the chamber. Never will buy that stuff again.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Wolf ammo is very, very bad. The steel case is not only hard on a chamber, but very hard on extractors! Also, the coating that is on the cartridges will actually melt and adhere to the chamber, making the gun no longer chamber rounds. Get what you pay for.

I have yet to visit the new range, glad to hear positive comments about it! Thanks for the reports!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Kroppe,
Thanks for the report. I was hoping to get down there around the time you mentioned but I should know better than to plan anything during the week. Let me know if you will be going back.
cs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts