Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying an 18' modified flat bottom with a 40hp outboard.
I would like to make it into an enclosed river boat for fishing the St. Joe river
in the winter. Does anyone know of a place that does this kind of work?
Or do you have any ideas on making one myself. Cant seem to find anything
by searching the web. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
345 Posts
There is a place out of Indiana that does them, but I cannot remember the name. Check with Tackle Haven or Wolfs, or call one of the charters that will actually talk to you Sea Hawk or Somebody like that. I kinda am in the market for the same kind of rig.
Andy

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Depends on what you want to spend. I talked to a guy in Elkhart who builds these enclosures and he was talking in the line of about 12 bills for a nice enclosure. He owns a shop that builds truck caps and we got to talking about this subject.

To be honest, some 1x1" aluminum angle, lexan and sheet aluminum or comparable material will probably get you what you want and if your a crafty sort of guy you cut and pop rivet or tack weld yourself a decent enclosure for a fraction of the price. light weight materials are really key to sucess here. One trip down 94 or 31 will tell you how good of job you did and if it survives that then it's all down hill from there.;)

Another option is to have a conventional bimini type camper top made for your boat but your still going to spend around 6 or 700 depending on who you have to do the work.

If you don't find something that works for you contact me after the spring and I'm sure I can get you something set up in your price range.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
There is a place in Niles that makes the tops your talking about. I believe his last name is Kimberly. I will try to get more info.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Tracey's custom boats in newaygo. I have seen tops that he has built and they are nice. He builds everything custom and can do it however you want. I will post his number when I get back to my house.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Still doing some searching. Not much time around the holidays. Appreciate any further information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts