Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the '70s my Uncle decided to take up bowhunting. He found a deal and bought a used Bear '76 takedown recurve. Well, he and his brother hunted with it for several seasons but never got the job done with it. Sometime in the mid '80s the bow was retired to a hook in the barn at their Huron County dairy farm.

In the spring of 2003, I stumbled across the old bow which then had a huge shelving unit in front of it. I fished the bow out from behind the shelving unit to get a closer look.

Hanging in a barn at a dairy farm for 20 years you can imagine just how much dirt had settled onto it. That bow was absolutely filthy. I cleaned it up and took it home to start my project.

Well, I got busy with other things so it sat on my basement workbench for a few years. So, probably around 2006 or so I decided it was time to get to work.

I borrowed a spool of B50 dacron from my buddy and built a string for it. Fletched up some old Beman ICS HUnter 400 arrows, because that's what I had laying around. Screwed in some 150 grain field points into the 100 grain brass inserts and started shooting.

I used to shoot instinctive with my compound so this style of shooting really wasn't new, but the lack of let-off sure was.:lol:

Fastforward to this spring. I was ready to give this a try for real this fall. I shot quite a bit this past summer hoping to get the opportunity to take a deer with it. With my maximum range being only 15 yards I always figured it was going to go down on the ground in a cornfield. Couldn't have been more wrong...

Last Tuesday, November 5th I grabbed the recurve and headed across a hay field to hunt a treestand in a staging area about 20 yards off the hay field. At last light, a lone doe came past my stand and gave me broadside shot at about 12 yards. She had absolutely no clue that I was there.

I drew, aimed, released and immediately heard the arrow hit it's mark. But it was so dark and thick I couldn't see where the arrow hit. The deer turned and ran back the way it came. I heard the deer run a short distance and it stopped. Then went down only 40 yards from the stand!

After 15 minutes, I climbed down to start tracking. I found the business end of the arrow covered in blood about 10 yards from the spot of impact and the fletching end, also covered in blood laying a few feet away. 30 yards later I find the doe, expired from a center-punched heart. The Magnus Stinger 150 grain 2 blade performed perfectly.

My Uncles were thrilled to see that old bow put to use again. But with this being my first one with a traditional gear they weren't half as thrilled as I was, and still am. In fact, this is what I look like now....:D!

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Congrats man!! That's awesome!!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Excellent work! Getter done the old fashion way! Congrats!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
324 Posts
Cool story and congrats on the trad kill! I'm in my 2nd year after going traditional and waiting for my first kill. Just curious, what's the draw weight of that bow?

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Awesome!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Great job! When I started hunting money was tight and my dad gave me his old recurve... Well I hardly did any hunting when I was younger and put it away till I got a compound.. Sure makes me want to bring that old bow back out and give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Great job P P. I had a Bear Kodiak Magnum 45lb when I 1st started hunting. Later on bought a Darton compound and finally gave my old Bear to my son recently and he's using it today. I bought that bow 40 years ago! Dave.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sweet man, pretty sweet to bring an old weapon back to life. I am currently working on an old m1 grand I'm restoring but I doubt I'll have the opportunity to use it as originally intended. Great harvest better story

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Very, very cool - great job! Makes we want to dust off the old Darton recurve I bought off a high school classmate in 1974.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone.:)

After nearly 30 years of bowhunting I needed to change things up a bit. I hoped that trying it with traditional gear might help return the passion and excitement that I used to experience in my teens and 20's.

I switched to sights in 1990. This is the first deer that I killed shooting instinctively since 1989 and the shot definately got the heart pounding!

Cool story and congrats on the trad kill! I'm in my 2nd year after going traditional and waiting for my first kill. Just curious, what's the draw weight of that bow?
The bow pulles 42 lbs. at 28" on my scale. I used 30" Beman ICS 400 arrows with 5" RW helical feathers, 100 grain brass inserts and Magnus Stinger 150 grain 2-blade heads. The shot was roughly 12 yards or so. The head entered between the ribs, severed the heart and exited between the ribs but did not pass through. It appeared that it penetrated to the numbers on the shaft where it broke, roughly 21".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts