Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year bear hunting and am not sure about how well bears will move on windy days. Will they still be on there feet or will they wait till it calms a bit

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
469 Posts
Usually the wind calms down in the evenings and mornings and that is when I have been seeing the most activity. But I'm new to bear hunting so we shall see if anyone has more insight as I too have been wondering what effect wind has on bear movement.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
My first hunt this year....5 days in the field. Windy days I saw nothing the three times I did see them it was eerily calm. Of course that may just be a coincidence. Let the veteran hunters pipe up!

m

·
Registered
323 Posts
I like the wind. I will get a honey burn or similar burn going and let the wind carry the smell to a bear. Ive seen more bear this way.

Sent from my LGL35G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
192 Posts
My first bear came on a night when it was so windy that we almost didn't go hunting. We decided to go to one of our back up sites just to be in the woods. To our surprise a good bear showed up well before dark that I was fortunate enough to kill with my bow. She ended up being a 13 year old sow that weighed 250 lbs.
With that said, I have hunted several other occasions with high wind and noticed a definite decrease in movement. I think it might come down to the old saying, "You can't kill em from the couch."
Good luck

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
I would take any condition over wind. Light rain, dead calm light breeze sun, clouds, full moon, new moon etc. IMO has always been better than a 16-20mph wind. Progress is right though. I wouldn't sit it out because of wind either

1 - 8 of 8 Posts