Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering...... Health wise, is it unhealthy too eat a large amount of venison? With food today, are our systems thrown into shock by the purity of the game that we eat? I can't imagine that it is not good, except if eating 200 pounds a day or something stupid like that. Any health info would be appreciated.

------------------
ONE shot, ONE kill..No excuses, no exceptions EVER!!

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Can't give no facts here but I have talked to some people that supposedly have been told by their doctors (heart conditions) to not eat beef and all read meat eat vension.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Know this....venison is higher in cholesterol than prime beef. However, since it is lower in overall fat content, it is generally considered that venison is better for you (cholesterol wise) than beef, as fat is required for cholesterol absorption. I would suggest that when you cook it, keep it lean (no added pork fat to the hamburger, no cream sauces, ect). I am sure it is safer from the standpoint of no antibiotics, steriods, chemical feeds, ect. but I am not sure were it rates as far as PCBs and other polutant contaminants or parasites. I am told that the best meat to eat regarding lowering cholesterol levels is rabbit; supposedly it is lower in cholesterol than the white meat of chicken! So if you know of someone with a cholesterol problem, go out and shoot them a bunny or two this winter and help them break up the meal monotony. One final warning: no one should make a constant diet of nothing but rabbit....they lack two essential amino acids and to do so would eventually kill you. Sorry; didn't mean to make this a dietary lecture.

Reactions: jumbojake

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I better go get me some bunnies!! Problem is, I would probably die of a heart attack getting them. Does that make the risk worth it all? :)

------------------
ONE shot, ONE kill..No excuses, no exceptions EVER!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
To continue on with what Mr. 16 Gauge said, eating venison is very healthy for you. Where you can get in trouble is eating too much of ANY type of red meat. With all the protein from the meat you are taking in, you require your kidneys to do alot more work in filtering out everything. If you eat too much, it really can hurt them long term. I'm not saying not to eat red meat...I'm just saying do it in moderation like everything else in your diet.

In addition, remember that glycogen(carbs) is what your brain needs to work and if you eat too much protein and not enough carbs, you run the risk of not only hurting your kidneys, but starting to have problems concentrating and thinking straight.

However, if you are just wondering about venison versus commercially raised animals, I would jump on the venison ANY day!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts